First non kit brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
Decided to do a stout for a xmas party this year and wanted to do the recipe on my own. I've got 6 extract brews under my belt this year. Still doing an extract but buying ingredients from lhbs. So I researched other stout recipes and come up with this.

6.6lb dark lme
1lb dark dme
.5lb black patent
.25lb roasted barley
.50lb crystal 120
1.5lb flaked oats
1oz cluster
1oz Kent goldings
1pk us-04

Steeped for 30min at 155 and done 70min boil.

Beersmith target OG was 1.059
Actual OG 1.062

Brew session went great, sample tasted amazing with a big full body and it's already super active in the fermenter.
I'm posting for comments on my recipe and what else I'm wanting to do.

I'm planning 14day primary (tentative on ferment) and 4 week secondary on top of vanilla bean soaked in bourbon and oak chips soaked in bourbon. I don't want these to destroy the flavor of the stout I want a subtle to mild bourbon and oak and a medium hint of vanilla. Please give me some suggestions on how much bourbon, oak chips and vanilla bean to use.

I'm planning on 1oz oak chips, 2 vanilla beans and no clue on the bourbon because I don't want it overpowering. Also this beer will be kegged on co2

All of your comments and tips are appreciated. If I forgot any info let me know.

5gal batch.

I added vanilla to a porter I did about a year ago, I just got some double strength extract and added a little bit at a time at bottling to taste. I was going for a hint of vanilla not like I as sucking on a vanilla bean. :tank:

You might get more bourbon flavor than you expect with the oak chips. Bourbon gets most of its flavor from the barrel, so what you're looking for might already be there. I would leave it alone and taste first, then add sparingly until you hit your mark. Also leaving it on the oak longer will increase the flavor.

I did a tripel with whiskey-soaked oak chips earlier this year and it turned out great. Whiskey was from a local distiller, so unless you are in the Virginia area I can't recommend based on my own experience. However, in general, I would say at bare minimum get makers mark, or go up from there.

I used 2 oz of medium french oak chips soaked in 1/4 cup whiskey. I let these soak for a few days before pouring the whole thing into the fermenter and leaving for almost 3 months. You may want to go with a little more oak and/or a little more bourbon, you've got a darker and more flavorful beer, and less time, so maybe 4 oz and 1/2 cup?

No experience with vanilla, sorry.

When you're enjoying this over the holidays, please add your beer as a data point to my survey here: LINK. Thanks!

Back