Is this ready for competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrjones89

Reaction score
First AG, first lager, lightest brew I've done, and I have never entered a competition. It tastes great, spot on for a German Pilsner, and hit all my targeted numbers except FG (a little better attenuation than anticipated). Right amount of hoppiness, a hint of sulfur, and everything else expected. I actually prefer this over many commercial examples, save for Scrimshaw, which isn't truly to style, IMO. The problem is that my beer is not clear enough. I am thinking about filtering, but I don't want to lose what flavor and head retention this delicate style has to offer. If I entered as is, would I get dinged too much for clarity? Should I just filter it? I added gelatin to the keg 24 hours ago. I am planning on bottling tomorrow night. Your thoughts? Thanks.
20181020_235705.jpg

If you’re even remotely considering competing, just do it, and if you can try to compete it multiple times. Regardless how it does the feedback you get from comps can be invaluable. It’s not going to be your buddies huddled over your tap telling you how awesome it is and that you should open your own brewery. It’s going to be someone with experience trying to be as honest as possible. It’s still subjective and judges could be off-target when evaluating a beer, but if you compete it multiple times you’ll get a sense of where your beer stands and where to take it.

I don't mind hazy beers, no matter the style, but some judges might, especially for a " laaager " type beer.

I think you would do yourself a service and filter it if you can, without oxidizing too much of whatever aromas and flavours you packed into it.

Clarity should only count for one point in appearance. Enter it, get some honest feedback, and hopefully get a medal.

Latest posts

Back