Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuie

Reaction score
Been fermenting for 15 days at 68 F. Us-05 yeast. It's biermunchers cream of three crops ale recipe

Was going to rack to secondary for clearing purposes. Never seen anything on top this late into the program. Is it ok to proceed? It smells and taste fine. FG is right at 1.014 where it has been past 3 readings.

image.jpg

Looks great, but why rack it to secondary? You said "for clearing purposes," but it's already started clearing in the bucket. Racking it to another vessel will just redistribute yeast/sediment uniformly back into solution and it'll have to start clearing all over again (not to mention the risk of oxidation and infection).

I'd give it another week in the bucket it's already in, then go straight to bottling.

First time I try a new recipe, I follow it out as originally posted. Then I "adjust" to fit my style. I rarely ever rack to secondary. To me, racking to secondary is a fancy French phrase for go ahead and keg that $hit! By the time it's carbonated it'll be good to go!

That's a great recipe...delicious beer. This is just my style, I use US-05 and Wyeast 1056 for a lot of my brews. US-05, for me, takes a long time to drop. In my opinion, 2 weeks minimum, and in 3 you'll have a nice clear beer to rack off.

This is my first stab at this recipe. From tastings I get when getting gravity readings I love how the flavor has come along. This will be a nice lawn mower beer. Being a former bud light man, this in my mind is what bud light should have tasted like. Plus with a very cheap grain bill I don't even worry about washing yeast from previous batches. Grain bill and yeast packet come up to 28 bucks. It's about 1/2 the cost of my well loved wheat beer, well almost 1/2. 40 bucks for grain and yeast packet for my wheat beer.

After doing this recipe, I will mash for 90 minutes on all my brews. Didn't like the 90 min boil. Started with 6.5 gal ( biggest pot I have atm) and ended up with 4.8 gal

Next time around, I will boil for 60 mins and maybe use Nottingham yeast to add a lil flavor pinch

And yes, us05 I know it's the "work horse" yeast for a lot of brews, but it does seem there is a better choice for something else with higher flocculation

Latest posts

Back