Is this enough to get me started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gofast

Reaction score
I've brewed a few beers with the help of one of the craft brewers using their equipment where I live but am considering brewing my own beer inhouse. This looks like a good start but wondered if I'll need any more equipment than this? The ad says it comes with ball valve, Air-Lock, and Stopper.

I'm in Canada, btw.

61yCf0of2CL._AC.jpg

Welcome to HBT !

That looks like enough to ferment it . How big is that ? There are numerous things to consider.

Brewing extract or all grain and how big of batches are you wanting to brew ? How about bottling ? Your gonna need caps and a capper . You'll need a hydrometer to ensure its done and safe to bottle.

If your going to go with extract kits and such id get a 8 gallon stainless pot . This way you could brew 1-5 gallon batches .

You will need a bottle bucket , preferably with a spigot . A bottling wand to attach to the spigot for easy bottling . You will need to cleaning and sanitizing stuff. You could use an IC ( immersion chiller ) but not a must but comes in really handy .

I started out with a 5 gallon brew kit . It came with everything you need to brew , including a 5 gallon beer kit . Then as time went on I got deeper into the hobby and purchased more equipment. I dont know what your budget is but check around craigs list . Sometimes you get a great deal .

Hard to tell without a link. There are lots of vendors that sell starter equipment kits and various levels and price points. What kind of batch size are you considering? I would compare a few beginner set up kits to see what feels right for your goals and living space.

I was looking at making 3 gallons for my first. That way I can keep brewing the next batch before this one's consumed, lol. I have 1 litre bottles for bottling.

I think what you've shown might work for fermentation, not sure if it will work for any of the hot-side brewing activities though. @Jag75 raised some good questions regarding the type of brewing you intend to do (extract vs. all-grain) and other equipment you might need. I'm in Canada too and have ordered a lot of my gear from OBK. I always check my local homebrew shop first to see what they have, though. Used starter gear is also usually fairly plentiful on Kijiji or other classifieds.

Barbarossa, Thanks for the like to OBK. I didn't find them in my search of Canadian suppliers. They have some great stuff. I'd wanted to start with 2 gallons at a time because I want to try so many styles. I generally enjoy darker ales and Stouts/Porter as long as they're no too hoppy.

Barbarossa, Thanks for the like to OBK. I didn't find them in my search of Canadian suppliers. They have some great stuff. I'd wanted to start with 2 gallons at a time because I want to try so many styles. I generally enjoy darker ales and Stouts/Porter as long as they're no too hoppy.
They have a range of starter kit for every needs. Look at Toronto Brewing also. I regularly order from both of them. OBK has an edge on equipment. TB on ingredients.

Searching for a Canadian supplier and found these guys. Seems like the best price. With shipping it would be about $130.00 CDN.
Is there anything additional anyone could suggest I'll need?
This is exciting!

Paul

1614350237984.png

What I don't see there is a boil kettle. The photo seems to have everything you need for fermentation though. If I could make a suggestion, if you haven't done so already, have a look at the book How to Brew by John Palmer, great resource to get started.

What I don't see there is a boil kettle. The photo seems to have everything you need for fermentation though. If I could make a suggestion, if you haven't done so already, have a look at the book How to Brew by John Palmer, great resource to get started.
Looks like it's also missing things for bottling.

There's an online version of the book available.
http://www.howtobrew.com/

Back