Is this beer stone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangersBrew

Reaction score
I recently bought a used fermenter and noticed this small barnacle. I’m wondering if I should use some sandpaper to sand it down or if this is beer stone? Anyone know what this could be or have suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• 63BDF0E7-25CE-40D7-A132-68F5A0E59223.jpeg
    63BDF0E7-25CE-40D7-A132-68F5A0E59223.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
Lol! Let's play "Spot The Beer Stone Barnacle" :D

1617241188373.png

Honestly, who knows what those spots might be, but frankly I doubt they're beer stone. Ime beer stone is typically seen as a smeared brownish/tannish stain that has evident thickness to it and resists all but rigorous cleaning. And, fwiw, Bar Keeper's Friend is my go-to for getting my kettles free of beer stone, while Five Star LLC is my go-to for recirculated cleaning of my keezer...

Cheers!

Thanks it just felt like a deep scratch or scab of of some sort and didn’t know if I should try and remove it

I get that - I'm seriously OC about "spots" on anything that touches the cold-side process. You could try making a thin paste of BKF and water and use a stiff sponge to attack whatever it is you're suspicious about - nobody would ding you for that :)

Cheers!

I agree with day trippr.... start with a non abrasive cleaner and bkf. Or you could try a 24 hour soak in PBW...

I would never go near a cold side stainless with sandpaper!!! That scares me

After extensive cleaning with pbw and bar keepers it seems like a really small chip. Any thoughts of what I should do or just RDWHAHB?

If it's beer stone (calcium oxalate) be grateful it's in your kettle and not your kidney. The vast majority of kidney stones are calcium oxalate and they hurt like hell. If you ever suffer from one, you'll want to drink a gallon of beer line cleaner. It may not solve the immediate problem you're experiencing, and it may kill you, but at that point you really won't care.

Back