Is this beer possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
So I was sitting at home eating my favorite candy bar a Snickers and I started thinking. Could I make a Snickers beer? So I thought I would pose this questions to the masses. Do you think it's a viable option? Any suggestions on a recipe or how one would go about acquiring one?

I would think so.. Chocolate, peanuts, caramel... All ingredients that can be used in beer. You just have to find that magic combination. When you figure it out, post the recipe for us!

Sure. Get a couple dozen. Mash them at 155 for an hour. Probably don't need any malt to help with conversion because it is mostly sucrose. Definitely use rice hulls to keep from getting a stuck mash.
I'm stumped on the hop schedule, though. ;)

Maybe a chocolate milk stout with vanilla and extra lactose added to the boil for the caramel flavors? But the peanuts...I dont know there. Maybe a special roast malt for a nutty flavor? Real peanuts? Never heard of that, tho other nuts have been used.

Maybe a chocolate milk stout with vanilla and extra lactose added to the boil for the caramel flavors? But the peanuts...I dont know there. Maybe a special roast malt for a nutty flavor? Real peanuts? Never heard of that, tho other nuts have been used.

People use a dry form of peanut butter in beer all the time.. I've never done it, but I've been interested in looking into it..

Now for my food based beer. Italian sub with the works. I was thinking of an open ferment sour in my bathroom. Onions, sundried tomatoes and italian herbs in the boil instead of hops. Some of my gym socks for steeping grain bags.

Think it'll work?

Now for my food based beer. Italian sub with the works. I was thinking of an open ferment sour in my bathroom. Onions, sundried tomatoes and italian herbs in the boil instead of hops. Some of my gym socks for steeping grain bags.

Think it'll work?

Something tells me you drink alone most of the time!

Likely ingredients (brackets why i chose this ingredient):

Marris Otter malt
Caramel 120 or other heavy caramel malt (caramel)
Pale Chocolate malt (chocolate / nuts)
Defatted peanut paste (nuts)
Cocoa powder (chocolate)
lactose (nougat)
Glacier hops (have a sweet almost candy like quality imo)
favorite ale yeast

maybe some oatmeal or flaked barley for added body?

hehe snicker-doodle stout

I am at a loss for proportions, you will need to experiment there... You will want to hop it very lightly, just enough to balance 15 - 25 ibus max i think.

seriously think i'm going to try this:

9 lb. german pilsner
1-1.5 lb. crystal 120
1 lb. chocolate malt

2 lb. hazelnut extract in secondary

1 oz. goldings for 60 minutes

yea, i know there aren't hazelnuts in snickers, but try a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. it uses hazelnut extract and it gives a nutty/sweet/caramel flavor to the beer.

Are you actually trying to get as close as possible to a real Snickers taste? If so, maybe go with caramel 80 instead of 120, and pale chocolate malt instead of regular chocolate? A little less roasty and burnt sugar taste, I would think.

Stauffbier said:
People use a dry form of peanut butter in beer all the time.. I've never done it, but I've been interested in looking into it..

What in the world is a dry form of peanut butter?

Even defatted peanuts (aka peanut flour, aka the stuff they use to make the peanut butter filling in peanut butter cups) still has some fat in it. I don't think this beer would have much head if any to it, but there are many examples of all kinds of nuts in beer listed right in this thread it clearly doesn't affect the beer otherwise.

I think it might be possible to overcome the head retention problems if you use the right amount of defatted peanut flour and the right grain bill (i.e. using grains that create good head retention).. The only problem with this, is the fact that you would have to experiment to find out. So, if your willing to take a chance it could be a fun experiment.

I think using something like this would kill any head retention because it's an oil. Would it not?

Yeah this would be too much oil for sure. I still think the defatted peanut flour would work. I might have to experiment with it myself some day. I have a batch of coconut brown ale in the primary. I roasted the hell out of the coconut and patted it off with paper towels to get as much oil out as I could. I then put it in the boil for 30 mins. It will be interesting to see if it has any effect on head retention. If it comes out good then I would think the defatted peanut flour would work even better, since I believe the coconut would have more oil in it...

Really tempted to try this but I have 4 beers planned and then vacation so its not going to happen anytime soon. Thinking of getting a box of 4 1 gallon jugs from the lhbs and air locks. Start by figuring out a rough grain bill and make a single batch of wort. Then do 4 separate boils of different peanut amounts then tweak it from there. Once you figure out the peanut amount you can make adjustments to the the hopping and minor grain changes.

At "Strange Brew Fest" I had a snickers beer... and a reese's beer... and many more that I cannot think of and you may never guess.

Anything is possible when beer is involved... :D

I think using something like this would kill any head retention because it's an oil. Would it not?

not an oil :mug:

"Our super strength flavors, also known as candy oils or candy flavors, are not oil-based and contain no vegetable oil. The term "candy oil" refers to a type of flavor that is concentrated and undiluted."

actually the Lorann oils would stabilize the head.
has propylene glycol , which is used as a foam stabilizer in beer.

actually the Lorann oils would stabilize the head.
has propylene glycol , which is used as a foam stabilizer in beer.

Interesting! I just presumed it was oil since it's called oil. It would be worth a try, but I think I'd still prefer to use something more natural. The peanut butter one says it's artificial flavored..

So I was sitting at home eating my favorite candy bar a Snickers and I started thinking. Could I make a Snickers beer? So I thought I would pose this questions to the masses. Do you think it's a viable option? Any suggestions on a recipe or how one would go about acquiring one?

Call Portland-U-Brew (503) 943-2727 and talk to Aaron. I know he has a recipe for Snickers beer. Its a solid brew shop too and right up the road from you:mug:

... found it on their website

http://www.portlandubrewandpub.com/u-brew/beer-recipes/snickers-stout/

Snickers Stout

7 lbs. Amber liquid malt extract
.5 lbs. Crystal malt(120L)
.5 lbs. Special Roast
.25 lbs. Black Patent malt
.25 lbs. Roasted Barley
White Labs001 California Ale yeast (or any American/British ale yeast)
2 lbs. Snickers Minis(2-one pound bags)

Hop Schedule

1.5 oz. Zeus Hops@60 min.
.5 oz. Zeus Hops@35 min.
1 oz. Willamette Hops@10 min.
1 oz. Willamette Hops@2 min.

Steep your grains @ 155F for 30 min. Add the malt extract, bring to a boil, and follow the hop schedule above. After your boil is over(1hour total)remove the wort from heat, and stir in the snickers bars. You can then pour that liquid through a strainer if you want, but I left the peanuts in primary and there were no ill effects that I could taste. Rack to a secondary fermenter, and let it sit for about a week. I got some sediment when I bottled this beer, but tasted great because it was mostly nougat from the snickers! As I said before I threw them in “as-is” peanuts and all and it tasted delicious!

Rogue serves what they call "snickers" in most of their pubs, Its à pint oh half chocolate stout and half hazelnut brown nectar, it really does taste very similar to à snickers bar.
I'm sûre the same thing could be replicated in à single homebrew...
Bonne chance!

... found it on their website

http://www.portlandubrewandpub.com/u-brew/beer-recipes/snickers-stout/

Snickers Stout

7 lbs. Amber liquid malt extract
.5 lbs. Crystal malt(120L)
.5 lbs. Special Roast
.25 lbs. Black Patent malt
.25 lbs. Roasted Barley
White Labs001 California Ale yeast (or any American/British ale yeast)
2 lbs. Snickers Minis(2-one pound bags)

Hop Schedule

1.5 oz. Zeus Hops@60 min.
.5 oz. Zeus Hops@35 min.
1 oz. Willamette Hops@10 min.
1 oz. Willamette Hops@2 min.

Steep your grains @ 155F for 30 min. Add the malt extract, bring to a boil, and follow the hop schedule above. After your boil is over(1hour total)remove the wort from heat, and stir in the snickers bars. You can then pour that liquid through a strainer if you want, but I left the peanuts in primary and there were no ill effects that I could taste. Rack to a secondary fermenter, and let it sit for about a week. I got some sediment when I bottled this beer, but tasted great because it was mostly nougat from the snickers! As I said before I threw them in “as-is” peanuts and all and it tasted delicious!

How could this be converted to a 10 gallon AG batch? Not enough experience yet trying to convert extract recipes to AG recipes.

Back