Is this a viable method to make mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clezik Grem

Reaction score
For mead I've heard that other fruit can be used during fermentation. When should the fruit be added? I tried adding cherries in the beginning , but I'm not sure if that could cause infection. I added some of my previous mead in beginning to provide yeast and more importantly to prevent infection. It looks normal, but should I throw it out?

Thank you for your advice. Should I be worried about an unseen infection like botulism?

I'm not an expert by any means. But here's an article by someone who knows more than me. And an excerpt from the article:

The good news for mead makers is that botulism is unlikely to be able to grow in must, as there is not enough protein present. So even though the spores are common [in] honey, even a prolonged delay in the onset of fermentation should not present a risk. Ciders and wines are even more protected, as they have both a low protein content and a starting pH below 4.0.

For mead I've heard that other fruit can be used during fermentation. When should the fruit be added? I tried adding cherries in the beginning , but I'm not sure if that could cause infection. I added some of my previous mead in beginning to provide yeast and more importantly to prevent infection. It looks normal, but should I throw it out?
I use fruit in my two recipes. I add the fruit to my carboys when filling them with water, right after pitching the yeast. I haven't heard of any fruit ever causing infection either.

I would advise not mixing old Mead batches with new ones also. The yeast from the old batches are more than likely dead and won't add anything in the form of fermentation.

Back