Is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
So I bought a hop plant this spring. It was very small when I got it and had a few white marks on the leaves. I posted a few picture here and was told not to worry about it. Now that the plant is growing the issue seems to be continuing, as well as what looks like dried out edges of a few leaves. There has been adequate rain for the most part and I have watered when necessary. Does any one know what could be causing this? Should I be concerned? And how to I treat this issue?
Thanks in advance for any input.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401919674.843939.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401919699.610317.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401919723.400483.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One of two things, are there any tiny little bugs underneath? If so then it's could be some sort of mite.

If it's not a bug, which I don't think it is, it's just a nutrient deficiency, other than water, you hops need fertilizer too. From what I've read hops LOVE nitrogen, but you have to be careful because too much nitrogen can hurt/burn the plant. Don't get the commercial chemical fertilizer, try to go with something organic or at least that occurs naturally, remember, you want to put this into your body at some point.

Check out this fact sheet from Rutgers University.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu:8080/pubs/fs992/

So I just checked and there are no insects to be seen. I guess I can try a little fertiliser but I would think the soil would be good. It's 3 bags of triple mix.

What brand? Is it garden soil or potting mix? Are they in a raised bed, pot or directly in a ground? How much sun do they get? How often do you water them?

If you get a slow release fertilizer or even compost made from yard debris, you'll get a ton of nitrogen from that. Sometimes you can get it for free from your municipality or local county.

I don't know your experience with gardening, but a lot of times those big box store brands aren't as good as they say they are.

You can also start to prune back those leaves closest to the bottom, no more than a third or even less of the plants total foliage. It will invigorate the plant to grow more and send nutrients/water to the healthy part of the plant.

What brand? Is it garden soil or potting mix? Are they in a raised bed, pot or directly in a ground? How much sun do they get? How often do you water them?

If you get a slow release fertilizer or even compost made from yard debris, you'll get a ton of nitrogen from that. Sometimes you can get it for free from your municipality or local county.

I don't know your experience with gardening, but a lot of times those big box store brands aren't as good as they say they are.

You can also start to prune back those leaves closest to the bottom, no more than a third or even less of the plants total foliage. It will invigorate the plant to grow more and send nutrients/water to the healthy part of the plant.

The soil is garden triple mix (top soil, pete moss, manure) they are planted in a raised bed. Approximately 6-7 hours of direct sun light. I water it when the the dirt is dry a few inches deep.

I'll try a little fertilizer and trim a few of the bottom leafs.

Latest posts

Back