Is this a pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M. Kim

Reaction score
I brewed wild ale for the first time. It's been fermenting for five months. Is it normal?

Attachments

• 20230927_005015.jpg
    20230927_005015.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
It's normal that many people post pictures of their beer asking if its a pellicle or otherwise infected.

So what if it is? I'd still continue through the process and see what it tastes like when it finishes.

Few infections are toxic. You can't really do anything about it once it's in the beer. So if it tastes good, drink it. If not dump it.

If it is infected your FG will probably be much lower than you expected. Tastes could be anywhere from a very mild pleasant sour to the more likely yuck that you won't like. Whatever it is, it is unlikely to be the beer you intended it to be if it is infected.

Five months fermenting! Care to tell us what you are brewing? I thought 5 weeks was a long time.

Last edited:
Yes, yes it is.

Pellicles generally form in response to oxygen exposure, although the 'bugs' will add their flavor/aroma/mouthfeel contributions even without the O2. If you have the ability to keg and keep the beer cold, it will mute and slow the extra flavors a bit.
They will become more pronounced over time.

Reading a little bit to see what a wild ale is, then I guess my question is if a pellicle or other type of infection is desirable for some types of wild ales.

I didn't read too far into the articles though. Wild ales don't sound like they'd be my thing. But I am curious.

Back