Is there an ammo shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
Let me explain a few things first:

I own a few guns but haven't really shot them in a few years. I don't have the property, nor know anyone that will allow gun hunting or shooting on their property.

I grew up in a county where only shotguns were to be used during the whitetail gun season. When I was in my early 20's, I purchased my first rifle, a .243 for shooting ground hogs. I now live more south/coastal where ground hogs are unheard of.

I have been hunting a spot that is archery only and have recently decided to try my hand at hunting a local public game preserve next season. As rifles are permitted, where I live now, I've been thinking about getting something a bit larger for hunting whitetail deer. I know many will say that my .243 is plenty of gun but I'm looking into something a bit larger. A caliber that interests me is the 7mm-08. I have heard great things about it and in the 139-140 grain range is plenty effective for putting meat in the freezer.

I've started looking around for ammo and the shelves are looking mighty baron. I'm not just talking about the 7mm-08, but everything. Maybe stores are wiped out from the season? Is it bad timing on my part? I've checked BassPro, Cabelas, Sportsman's Guide, my local Dick's Sporting goods, Walmart and they all seem short on selection. Walmart did have one offering for each of the more popular .270, .30-06 and 7mm mag and Bass Pro and some other online dealers may be stocked with these popular calibers. A buddy recommended getting the similar .308 because of better selection but I'm finding these hard to find as well.

I've looked into possible reasons for a shortage and can't find a viable one. The belief that the government is buying mass quantities of ammo seems a bit far fetched and IMO wouldn't really pertain to hunting cartridges. Pistol shooters seem to be in a similar boat. Anyone heard of any reason or am I just looking for hunting ammo at the wrong time of year?

Plenty of 7mm 08 here at the local grouse river in Canada.
http://www.grouseriver.com/Federal_Fusion_7mm_08_p/hun-000335.htm

We seem to be cheaper then you guys for the surplus stuff to like soviet SKS $199

I am planning on getting my firearms license but haven't got around to it. We have plenty of wild game here in BC. most recently turkeys. I have some moose in the freezer my buddy shot and it'd delicious.

Up here in ND my cousin could not find .243. It was the beginning of deer season but c'mon, there are not that many .243s being used for deer in this area.

Wow, I've been looking for the 140s. I did manage to buy the last box of the Federal Fusion 120s at a local store.

I had to turn to purchasing ammo online. There's pretty much nothing up here around where I live in Ohio, so it's easier to have it shipped to my door.

You can't even find .22lr right now. I'm not having any issue with most pistol calibers (9mm, .40, and .38 special), or shotgun shells, but they are more expensive. Large rifle rounds are available, just not a huge selection. In regards to what rifle to buy, I would either go with a .270, 30-06, or 7mm rem mag. All three have respectable ballistics, and ammo is available almost everywhere, even now. I would also stick to common Hunting "out of the box" loads and call it a day. This way you can site in your gun, and consistently locate the same ammo you are sighted in for. Unless you plan some significant bench time, the ammo and rifle will likely exceed your ability.

All that said, the 7mm-08 is a great round. I had a Remington 700 chambered in 7mm-08 for a while, but let it go in favor of a 7mm Remington mag for the same reasons I mentioned above. It was fun off of a bench at long distances, but having to track down ammo was a pain.

If I had to pick one "do it all" rifle, that you can always find ammo for... It's got to be the 3006. If I was hunting moose, the 300 mag has a little more thump. What ever you get, start looking at reloading for that round, it's not that much stuff and is so much cheaper. The 3006 doing it's job this year.

I have been hunting with a used 7mm Remington mag. that I got at a pawn shop for 8 years on white tail and hogs and last year is the only time I couldn't find amo for it but I had plenty put back. If you can't find the amo for the gun you choose I'll see if I can find any here in Texas and send it to you. But like the other guy said you should be able to find it online.

I think the ammo shortage is due to the boom in new gun owners. Everyone expects Obama to ban types of firearms, like Clinton did with AR's and high cap mags. So everyone gets their guns (and ammo for them) before the new laws pass. The ammo MFR are making the ammo that makes them the most money, IMHO pistol ammo. A box of reloads for my 45ACP cost just under $30 bucks. I used to reload for the 45 and it cost about a nickel a shot. That's a good mark-up for the MFR.
10 years ago 3006 ammo was 13 bucks a box for Winchester power points and now it's 20 bucks a box (big deal). You know why this is, because they don't ban hunting rounds. Even in the UK or Canada, you can still buy and own shotguns and rifles for hunting.
As I take my tin foil hat off, this is a good place to look for ammo online http://www.midwayusa.com/

For high power hunting I shoot a 270. It has done everything I've ever asked it to do in regard to deer hunting. Were I to do it all over again I'd probably go with 30-06 just because there is a bit wider range of ammo loadings available if necessary.

Seems like everybody wants to have a cannon these days. Fine if merited by long range or whatever, but unnecessary for most game. Good shot placement will do more for a good kill than a few hundred more pounds of energy.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised to be able to open a forum post on ammo shortage and read a perfectly reasonable discussion between rational adults...thank you again HBT community! The shortage on 22lr is getting ridiculous though. A buddy of mine with a gun store blames it on the prepper craze but it doesn't make sense that ammo manufacturers can't or won't keep up with demand. The ammo shelves are ridiculously barren and overpriced everywhere I've looked in CO & TX for many different calibers.

I long since sold my 7mm because I was not using it. That being said, was just in the local gunshop/shooting range and they had plenty of ammo for it, my 9mm (never shortage for it), 7.62, 5.6, etc. Maybe try "real" gun shop instead of the big box store. I suspect ammo cost more there but they seem to stock for anything they sell.

As an odd aside, less-than-lethal rounds for my 12 ga used to only be available by order, online or the gun shop in Tulsa that also serviced the local police. The same store had beanbag, rubber pellet and flash rounds. The only reason I care is my wife's home protection shotgun is one round rubber pellets followed by 3 short rounds of bird shot (hand loaded with about half the powder and twice the shot) and one 00 buck. She was concerned about someone outside the house being injured if she missed...and the 00 buck for when the intruder did not get the message the first 4 times.

About a year ago, it was near impossible to find any pistol caliber or 5.56 locally and on-line prices were through the roof. Not as bad now, but we still make all of our purchases on-line using this ammo aggregator site:

http://www.gunbot.net/

'Round these parts seems to be pretty good supply of everything except 22LR. One shop has quite a bit of CCI standard velocity on hand. He was selling bricks for $40 at the height of the shortage. Been seeing more on the shelves though. Going through Walmart the other day noticed they had Federal 22LR on the shelf for $2.79/50. Heck, thats only about twice the price it used to be a year or two back. A relative bargain by todays standards. Two box per customer limit, so said the sign.

I think the ammo shortage is due to the boom in new gun owners. Everyone expects Obama to ban types of firearms, like Clinton did with AR's and high cap mags. So everyone gets their guns (and ammo for them) before the new laws pass. The ammo MFR are making the ammo that makes them the most money, IMHO pistol ammo. A box of reloads for my 45ACP cost just under $30 bucks. I used to reload for the 45 and it cost about a nickel a shot. That's a good mark-up for the MFR.
10 years ago 3006 ammo was 13 bucks a box for Winchester power points and now it's 20 bucks a box (big deal). You know why this is, because they don't ban hunting rounds. Even in the UK or Canada, you can still buy and own shotguns and rifles for hunting.
As I take my tin foil hat off, this is a good place to look for ammo online http://www.midwayusa.com/

Obama has won 'Guns and Ammo Salesman of the Year' honors for five years running, hands down. Every time someone mentions his name, people freak out and start running to stock up.... :p

The truth is, the gun industry has been going absolutely nuts for the last couple years. I was talking to my local dealer last year (late winter/early spring), and he said he had been told by Ruger that if you didn't have an order in already, don't even bother -- 3 months into the year, they had more guns on order than they could build the rest of the year.

The couple high-profile incidents a year ago -- and the subsequent call for new bans -- did NOT help. Ammunition manufacturers have been running nearly around-the-clock for over a year now trying to keep up with demand. Most calibers are catching up, but .22LR is still selling just as fast as they can produce it. Three months ago I was taking to a sales associate at the Cabelas in La Vista, NE about it. He said they get shipments in Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat, and if you're not standing at the shelf waiting for it at 9:00, you won't even see it.; the local Walmart got a shipment of around 5,000 rounds in a while back with a 3 box limit - and it lasted two and a half hours.

The reason for the shortages are four-fold:

1) There is a huge influx of new shooters in the shooting sports/hunting world. Don't ask me why, but I'm all for it. A coworker of mine falls into this category; a little over a year ago he moved his family from town to a small acreage about 10 miles outside of town. His wife, who had previously been against any guns in the house, decided she wanted something out on the farm to dispatch any coyote or other wildlife that might possibly threaten the kids -- as well as any two legged predators that might stop by. She's actually talking about getting her permit to carry now. Of course, they had absolutely zero ammunition -- he's got guns at his parents' place, but no ammo. So, any time I walk into a gun shop and see .22 on the shelf for a decent price, I pick up a couple boxes for them.

2) Established shooters, like myself, who regularly keep a "decent" stockpile of ammunition for each firearm on hand, so at any time on a whim I can head to the range for an extended day, possibly with friends, and not have to worry about ammo. Many people that fall into this category have, because of the shortages, increased what they consider a decent supply - I've doubled my stock of .22, and probably done the same with my .40, with the thought being, if I go have a normal range day tomorrow, when will I be able to replace the ammo I shot?

3) Preppers: The doomsday/tinfoil hat crowd seems to be really taking off, and when you're outfitting a bunker for several years of survival, you need a lot of ammo.

4) Hoarders/Resellers: There are some people that whenever supply outpaces demand, will start buying as much of the item as they can - and this group gets split into two subgroups. The hoarders buy everything they can, just because it's there and they can buy it. And then you have the resellers. These guys, in my opinion, are the biggest cause of the problem. They're the ones you see hitting Cabelas, or Bass Pro, or any other retailer, with their wife, kids, uncle, drinking buddies, etc. And with their network of accomplices, buy out the entire stock. (Friend of mine witnessed this more than once - guy walks into a shop, sees they have .22LR on the shelf, grabs his phone. "Hey Ma, get everyone down here, they've got .22 in stock"). You then see these award winners a week or two later at a gun show, selling the 100 round bricks they bought for $12...for $100, because "There's a shortage, y'know"

No, there is not an ammo shortage. However, there does happen to be an overabundance of "ammo hoarders."

I think they should start making you bring in 100 empty .22 casings if you want to buy 100 new ones:)

I haven't shot for years, but with my young one having an interest in owning a .22, I decided to pick up a couple of boxes to take down to the range and show her how to shoot her *new* hand-me-down rifle (The one that was owned by my mom's brother before he died in Vietnam).

Lo and behold, there wasn't a round to be found anywhere near my town.

I was also thinking about picking up a cheap .22 handgun, just for fun shooting, but now I'm leaning towards skipping that and going right to a round I can reload. I already own a Ruger Blackhawk .22-.22 Mag.

Everyone says supply will catch up soon, but who knows. Meantime, I found all kinds of handgun and rifle and shotgun rounds, even if there weren't a lot of any given caliber.

And, FWIW I am fond of the .30-06 that was my dad's. There are several good calibers to shoot deer with, just depends on how you want to shoot. I hunted with a .308 as a youngster, and know people who were successful each year with .30-30 and other calibers, depending on the terrain and their level of distance shooting.

I used to shoot regularly, and even dabbled in competitive shooting a bit (IDPA, Tactical Carbine matches, etc), but now ammo is so hard to find (and expensive as $#!t when you do find it) that I've pretty much stopped altogether. I literally fired one magazine through my Glock and one through my AR-15 in 2013 just to for a function check, and nothing else. Most of my guns haven't been used in years. I think I may sell of the majority of my collection and just keep the few ones that actually get used every once in a while.

I use a 25-06, but i reload, and purchased enough supplies to make several hundred long before the current anti gun movement. I also have a large amount of primers for my two primary hand guns, but other guns, like my .223 are impossible to find at a price that does not make you feel like they should buy you breakfast. the 30-06 is the most popular round and can be used for anything. that would be my suggestion.

Everyone says supply will catch up soon, but who knows. Meantime, I found all kinds of handgun and rifle and shotgun rounds, even if there weren't a lot of any given caliber.

It's getting there. 6-8 months ago, your only hope of buying almost any caliber was to be standing there when they brought it out and stocked the shelves. That was .22, .223, .243, .30-06, .308, ANY of the handgun rounds.

Now, a shipment of rifle caliber rounds will remain on the shelf for a week or better before it sells out. .40 and 9mm are pretty much to the point I can walk in to any gun shop in the area and buy a couple boxes if I want. If we can go another 4-6 months without another panic-inducing event (be it proposed legislation or, god forbid, another shooting), I think we'll be back to a supply/demand balance - or at least very close to it.

7mm-08 is an excellent choice for white tail. 308 cartridge necked down to 7mm. The 7mm bullet has a rather good ballistic coefficient around the 140 to 160 grain range.
I shoot the Remington 280 in the 7400 auto loader. 30-06 case necked down to 7mm. Not made any more and loaded cartridges only available in premium quality and price.
I reload though. 140 grain Nosler Partition at 2950 fps, 3.3013 OAL, IMR4350. Can't give the grains of powder though. Forgot; Advice from experts is you can't reload for an atuo loader.

Reloading is a very satisfying hobby.

I'm not a gun guy - really not a big fan of them (though I have no desire to see them banned) but I want to know how much really is a shortage - is there a problem getting raw materials? Are factories closing? etc etc, versus how much is just people thinking there are bans in the works, (even though no one has really suggested anything of the sort) and people just buying everything they can get their hands on.
I don't see a problem with reasonable restrictions on who can own certain weapons (I for one would be nervous if my neighbor owned a 50-cal!) but in general, I don't have a problem with ownership by responsible people.

I'm not a gun guy - really not a big fan of them (though I have no desire to see them banned) but I want to know how much really is a shortage - is there a problem getting raw materials? Are factories closing? etc etc, versus how much is just people thinking there are bans in the works, (even though no one has really suggested anything of the sort) and people just buying everything they can get their hands on.
I don't see a problem with reasonable restrictions on who can own certain weapons (I for one would be nervous if my neighbor owned a 50-cal!) but in general, I don't have a problem with ownership by responsible people.

Well, demand is outpacing supply, so that's a shortage.

I'm sure this thread would be best served by keeping on topic. Just refer to the OP for what that is. Discussion on gun control would be better off in the debate forum.

I"ve been buying a lot more ammo on line this passed year than ever before. I can buy a crate of 7.62x39 cheaper there than anywhere locally, same for 7.62x54. Handgun rounds are pretty easy to find at the moment, except .44 mag, this time last year I could shoot my .44s as cheap or cheaper than my 9mms or .45s, now, if I can find them, they want $50 a box!

Thank you all for your suggestions on ammo and caliber choice.

I just remembered something I forgot to mention in the original post. Honestly, we could be having this discussion again in a few years and here's why:

I read an interesting article the other day pertaining to the phasing out/banning of lead bullets by the EPA. I believe the article also cited the closing of the one of the last lead bullet casters in the country perhaps as early as the end of 2014. I'm not sure if this was pertaining just to the military or if included civilian hunting/shooting ammo. I believe the idea is to replace lead with the already expensive copper. Not sure how this will affect copper prices and ammo availability. I know lead is pretty yucky stuff but copper has its issues as well. Copper verdigris is poisonous.

How many is in a case? I'm thinking of getting a soviet SKS as my first gun and they sell crates of corrosive Russian 762x39 for $399 for 1400 rounds. How much are those rounds in the USA? By the way there is no shortage of any rounds here in Canada although we do not have fully automatic weapons here an ak could rip through a crate pretty fast. Our SKS are pinned at 5 rounds (semi auto 5 rounds here)

Thank you all for your suggestions on ammo and caliber choice.

I just remembered something I forgot to mention in the original post. Honestly, we could be having this discussion again in a few years and here's why:

I read an interesting article the other day pertaining to the phasing out/banning of lead bullets by the EPA. I believe the article also cited the closing of the one of the last lead bullet casters in the country perhaps as early as the end of 2014. I'm not sure if this was pertaining just to the military or if included civilian hunting/shooting ammo. I believe the idea is to replace lead with the already expensive copper. Not sure how this will affect copper prices and ammo availability. I know lead is pretty yucky stuff but copper has its issues as well. Copper verdigris is poisonous.
The last lead smelter closed this month, IIRC. That writing has been on the while for a while, though - the EPA, for as backwards and iron fisted of an organization as it is, cannot pick its own nose quickly. The industry has known for quite some time about the regulations affecting smelters, and major manufacturers haven't used domestic lead for several years now, choosing to import it all and get their supply chain established.

Is there are shortage? Yes. When demand > supply you have a shortage of product.

I for one stop at my local Walmart on a weekly basis and about once every 5 stops I'll get lucky and a new shipment has just filled the shelves and I can snag a box or 2 of .40 S&W, .45 ACP or 9mm. The popular caliber rifle rounds are almost always sold out during the entire hunting season (Oct-Jan) in most states. If they aren't sold out then all that is left are the premium cartridges ($35-$50 for 20 rounds!)

As for the 7MM-08: great caliber. I own one in a Remington Model 7 stainless steel with 20" barrel. Short action calipers allow a light weight rifle and mine is so light I can pack it around the woods for a day and not notice the weight. Also a 120 or 140 grain 7mm spitzer is the perfect bullet for deer, doesn't destroy as much meat as a magnum but drops them every time if you hit the rib cavity.

If you want an all around caliber more suited to long range shots the .270 Win is hard to beat. I have a Winchester Model 70 and it has taken many a deer from 350 yards. It kicks less than a 30/06 and shoots flatter with 130 gr bullets.

I reload for mine and buy brass for it when it's on sale so I will never need to buy loaded ammunition. Even with current prices on powder and primers I can still load 7mm-08 hunting rounds for about $8 for 20 rounds and mine are more accurate than factory rounds. Look into reloading. For centerfire handgun or rifle you will save 50-300%!

How many is in a case? I'm thinking of getting a soviet SKS as my first gun and they sell crates of corrosive Russian 762x39 for $399 for 1400 rounds. How much are those rounds in the USA? By the way there is no shortage of any rounds here in Canada although we do not have fully automatic weapons here an ak could rip through a crate pretty fast. Our SKS are pinned at 5 rounds (semi auto 5 rounds here)

The current going rate around here is $0.20-$0.25 per round in lots of 500 and up. For all intents and purposes all the new manufacture stuff is non corossive so no real point to buy old corrosive surplus unless the price ir really right, or there isn't anything else available.

Oh, and by the way, fully automatic weapons aren't that common in the States either. You have to get a special license/tax stamp to have them. The vast majoirity of gun owners don't bother with acquiring machine guns.

Here in Maryland, it's not as bad as it was a year ago. But still, most of the shelves are bare of pistol ammunition. Shotgun, rifle...by the ton. But I live in Maryland....so no surprise. If I was a gun/ammunition manufacturer, I wouldn't send anything here either.

I reload for mine and buy brass for it when it's on sale so I will never need to buy loaded ammunition. Even with current prices on powder and primers I can still load 7mm-08 hunting rounds for about $8 for 20 rounds and mine are more accurate than factory rounds. Look into reloading. For centerfire handgun or rifle you will save 50-300%!
Especially if you do any volume shooting.

Back when I first got my .40 (S&W M&P40), I was shooting several hundred rounds per month. At the time, you could buy the WWB (Winchester White Box) value pack, 100 rounds for $25. $0.25/round. If I remember correctly, I could reload those same rounds for around $0.12/round. I haven't priced components out lately to see how the numbers are now for the .40, but since I have started shooting .308 some, I checked into that: The best price I've found locally is $20/20 rounds -- $1/round. By the looks of it, I can reload the same cartridge for around $0.42/round.

From an economics standpoint, if you're just starting out, you need to consider the cost of equipment into the payout. I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker used, and the guy through in a Lee primer tool. Think I had about $200 total in tools & equipment to load the .40; at a savings of $12/100 rounds I had to load 2,000 rounds to pay off the equipment. Now that I'm looking at rifle calibers, there will be a few more tools I need, and I'm thinking about stepping up to a Dillon press for the pistol - it's a little disheartening to spend an hour or two loading 100 rounds, and then shoot that 100 rounds in 15-20 minutes at the range.

Edit: From an economics standpoint, some people (that tend to be argue that reloading is not an economical pursuit) will insist that you must factor your time into the cost. In other words, if it takes me two hours to load 100 rounds start to finish, then I should factor in $50-100 for "my time". Personally, I consider that argument bull -- I enjoy reloading almost as much as I enjoy shooting, so my 'economic cost' of the time spent loading is cancelled out by the enjoyment I get from it.

The current going rate around here is $0.20-$0.25 per round in lots of 500 and up. For all intents and purposes all the new manufacture stuff is non corossive so no real point to buy old corrosive surplus unless the price ir really right, or there isn't anything else available.

Oh, and by the way, fully automatic weapons aren't that common in the States either. You have to get a special license/tax stamp to have them. The vast majoirity of gun owners don't bother with acquiring machine guns.
And many states either don't even allow you to apply for the NFA permit (National Firearms Act), or restrict what items you are allowed to purchase with it. (Iowa is one; no NFA items allowed - suppressors, full auto, etc.)

Yeah we have 2 types of firearms license.
Restricted and non restricted.
Restricted is mostly hand guns
and non restricted is 5 round mag for center fire, no limit for rimfire, no handguns, and I think no limit for centerfire rifles mags as long as its not semi auto. No restrictions for shotguns as long as its not shortened otherwise its restricted. And fully autos are prohibited in canada. That being said the tests for both licenses are pretty strait forward common sense stuff. There is a more thorough background check for restricted. And you can only use restricted firearms at a shooting range.
I would imagine ammunition for restricted firearms wouldn't be in high demand in Canada because not too many bother with restricted. Most people here with firearms hunt.

Y'all do realize that the manufacture of lead ammo in the USA is being totally and completely eliminated through the EPA don't you? If not, where have you been? Silent?

Yeah we have 2 types of firearms license.
Restricted and non restricted.
Restricted is mostly hand guns
and non restricted is 5 round mag for center fire, no limit for rimfire, no handguns, and I think no limit for centerfire rifles mags as long as its not semi auto. No restrictions for shotguns as long as its not shortened otherwise its restricted. And fully autos are prohibited in canada. That being said the tests for both licenses are pretty strait forward common sense stuff. There is a more thorough background check for restricted. And you can only use restricted firearms at a shooting range.
I would imagine ammunition for restricted firearms wouldn't be in high demand in Canada because not too many bother with restricted. Most people here with firearms hunt.
For most US states, there are no such licenses. In Iowa, you have to get a permit to acquire in order to buy a pistol, but to buy any long gun (shotgun or rifle), you just have to fill out Form 4473 and pass the NICS check. Illinois used to require a Firearms Owner Identification (FOID) card; not sure if that still stands or if that was affected by a court ruling.

Where the licenses we were talking about earlier (NFA tax stamps, etc) come in to play are for weapons regulated under the National Firearms Act of 1934/Gun Control Act of 1986 This includes Machine guns (selective fire and full auto guns); short-barreled rifles (barrel under 16"), short-barreled shotguns (barrel under 18"); suppressors (aka silencers); Destructive Devices (grenades, bombs, explosive missiles, poison gas weapons, etc.). Anything falling under NFA control must be purchased through a NFA registered dealer, by an individual owning a NFA tax stamp. Every state determines what level of NFA weapons they will allow in their borders.

And then, the ones you need to worry about don't follow the rules do they?

Not sure where you're from (guessing Illinois, California, or somewhere in the northeast), but for most states, the licenses you speak of do not exist. In Iowa, you have to get a permit to acquire in order to buy a pistol, but to buy any long gun (shotgun or rifle), you just have to fill out Form 4473 and pass the NICS check.

Where the licenses we were talking about earlier (NFA tax stamps, etc) come in to play are for weapons regulated under the National Firearms Act of 1934/Gun Control Act of 1986 This includes Machine guns (selective fire and full auto guns); short-barreled rifles (barrel under 16"), short-barreled shotguns (barrel under 18"); suppressors (aka silencers); Destructive Devices (grenades, bombs, explosive missiles, poison gas weapons, etc.). Anything falling under NFA control must be purchased through a NFA registered dealer, by an individual owning a NFA tax stamp. Every state determines what level of NFA weapons they will allow in their borders.

He is from Canada.
I was just reading this and wondering, when it going to be time for me to line up, or after I line up will I get a knock on the door, because I lined up. From how this reads, they have to register ammo too. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/conn-gun-owners-rush-register-130343339.html
I think this is explains some of the ammo shortage, people have "the fear".

Back