Is there an ammo shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say stick to the .243 but shoot a premium bullet.

Skip the headache of buying a new gun and finding enough ammo to sight it in and get proficient with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Definitely an ammo shortage. Checked 2 walmarts, a local hardware store, and an academy sports. Only 1 box of 9mm between the group, and zero 22lr.

I did discover that midway will let you put in a backorder for a 1400 round bucket of 22lr, limit 1. Expected ship date is June. My wife & I both ordered 1. Hopefully my current supply will outlast the squirrels.

Definitely an ammo shortage. Checked 2 walmarts, a local hardware store, and an academy sports. Only 1 box of 9mm between the group, and zero 22lr.

I did discover that midway will let you put in a backorder for a 1400 round bucket of 22lr, limit 1. Expected ship date is June. My wife & I both ordered 1. Hopefully my current supply will outlast the squirrels.
You need to become religious about checking Cabelas - several times a day. They'll have ammo available online several times a week, but you've got to hit it quick when it shows up. Another forum I frequent has a tread dedicated explicitly to announcing whenever you see it in stock online. In the last month, I've gotten in on a 325 round box of Federal Auto Match, and a 525 round brick of Remington. My supply is good enough now, now anything I order goes to friends of mine that have absolutely zero stock (new shooters, the only ammo they have is stuff I have given them)

All ammo is available if you buy it online. I just bought 440 rounds for my type 53 even though I only found one place locally who was selling it for about twice what it should have. I just go on www.gun-deals.com click on ammo deals. Select caliber then type in your zip code. Sort by total cpr and bam in a week you have what you wanted at your front door

All ammo is available if you buy it online. I just bought 440 rounds for my type 53 even though I only found one place locally who was selling it for about twice what it should have. I just go on www.gun-deals.com click on ammo deals. Select caliber then type in your zip code. Sort by total cpr and bam in a week you have what you wanted at your front door

I wanted to thank-you, Cabela's has first loading (new) 45acp boxes of 50 for 21 bucks. That's only 8 bucks more than 10 years ago. Bass pro wanted 30 bucks a box for reloads, so I was happy to find these. 8 bucks increase is not so bad, I can live with that.

Especially if you do any volume shooting.

Edit: From an economics standpoint, some people (that tend to be argue that reloading is not an economical pursuit) will insist that you must factor your time into the cost. In other words, if it takes me two hours to load 100 rounds start to finish, then I should factor in $50-100 for "my time". Personally, I consider that argument bull -- I enjoy reloading almost as much as I enjoy shooting, so my 'economic cost' of the time spent loading is cancelled out by the enjoyment I get from it.

The same people that argue that homebrewing doesn't save you money because you don't factor in your time. Well of course you don't factor in time spent on a "hobby" because you do it for enjoyment and monetary savings, not savings alone.

I've been reloading for 20 years now. The biggest savings for me is shotgun rounds because I was given about 500 lbs of target bird shot for free because an industrial plant used the lead shot bags for counter weights because 20 years ago that was the cheapest way to buy lead weights! I've litterally been using the same stash of lead shot for 20 years. :mug:

So... Let's say I need to reload. How many dies do I need? I've thought about pulling the trigger on some reloading dies but I'm lost on all I'd need. Obviously a good manual is in order but what else? I understand the need for a trimmer, powder measure etc. but the die part has me confused. Crimping, sizing...

So... Let's say I need to reload. How many dies do I need? I've thought about pulling the trigger on some reloading dies but I'm lost on all I'd need. Obviously a good manual is in order but what else? I understand the need for a trimmer, powder measure etc. but the die part has me confused. Crimping, sizing...
You buy a die set for each caliber you want to load -- the set will have all of the dies you need.

For instance, my .40 S&W die set has four dies

The first die punches out the old primer, and resizes the casing (the casing swells to match the size of your guns chamber - which isn't always uniform from model to model)

The second die rolls the very top of the casing outward slightly to allow for the bullet to be started into the casing.

The third die forces the bullet in to the casing to the proper length, and re-closes the expansion from the second die.

A fourth die is optional for my particular set, and "finishes" the crimp around the bullet a little more. I've never bothered with it.

Obviously, at some point, you will need to install the new primer (a hand primer tool can be had for $30-40).

I typically do all of my case prep work before I start to put new components in -- tumble a batch of cases, deprime/resize, expand the necks, and set aside until I'm ready to reload. That way, when I sit down to load a batch, I can prime a batch, measure the powder, set the bullets on by hand, and then run them through the bullet seat die.

Expanding on my above post, at the bare minimum you will need:

• Reloading Press - dies mount in this, holds the casing during each step
  • Powder Scale - You're going to be working in grains of powder (1 lb = 7,000 grains). You need a good scale for repeatable results.
  • Powder Measure - Once calibrated, measures out a precise amount of powder for each casing
  • Die set (1 for each caliber)
  • Hand Primer - the more advanced presses will automatically do this, but for a starting setup, you'll want a separate tool to press new primers into your cases.
  • GOOD Precision Calipers - You're going to be working with VERY tight tolerances. For insance, my pistol (.40 S&W), the reloading manual calls for a Case Overall Length (COAL) OF 1.120"; but *MY* gun, using the bullets I load, feeds more reliably with a COAL of 1.123". (Yes. Three TEN THOUSANDTHS of an inch makes a difference)
  • Case cleaning (media tumbler, sonic cleaner) - used to buff carbon deposits and other debris off the cases before reloading.
  • At least one good reloading manual (I've got the Speer Reloading Manual #14)

A case trimmer might also be a good addition (maybe more necessary for rifle calibers, I don't know for sure -- the guy that taught me to load only loads handgun, and he doesn't use one) If you can find a friend to show you the ropes, things will go a lot smoother getting started.

I'd forgotten how much weight is in a case of 7.62x51. No wonder the military went to 5.56.

Expanding on my above post, at the bare minimum you will need:

• Reloading Press - dies mount in this, holds the casing during each step
  • Powder Scale - You're going to be working in grains of powder (1 lb = 7,000 grains). You need a good scale for repeatable results.
  • Powder Measure - Once calibrated, measures out a precise amount of powder for each casing
  • Die set (1 for each caliber)
  • Hand Primer - the more advanced presses will automatically do this, but for a starting setup, you'll want a separate tool to press new primers into your cases.
  • GOOD Precision Calipers - You're going to be working with VERY tight tolerances. For insance, my pistol (.40 S&W), the reloading manual calls for a Case Overall Length (COAL) OF 1.120"; but *MY* gun, using the bullets I load, feeds more reliably with a COAL of 1.123". (Yes. Three TEN THOUSANDTHS of an inch makes a difference)
  • Case cleaning (media tumbler, sonic cleaner) - used to buff carbon deposits and other debris off the cases before reloading.
  • At least one good reloading manual (I've got the Speer Reloading Manual #14)

A case trimmer might also be a good addition (maybe more necessary for rifle calibers, I don't know for sure -- the guy that taught me to load only loads handgun, and he doesn't use one) If you can find a friend to show you the ropes, things will go a lot smoother getting started.

Another thought crossed my mind last night: Once you get started, you'll soon develop a rhythm for each step. BE CAREFUL! It hurts like HELL if you get your finger caught between the case neck and one of the dies and don't realize it before you pull the handle on the press -- and a coworker learned the hard way, when you're priming prepped cases, it's almost natural to slide a case into the primer tool with one finger over the case neck. DON'T DO THIS. He had a primer go off when he squeezed the handle to seat the primer. Didn't do any major damage, but did burn his finger and rang his ears pretty good. I've gotten to where I wear eye and ear protection during priming, and if I feel any resistance at all during the seating stroke, make sure that the case is pointed in a safe direction before completing.

I absolutely hate handling primers.

Let me explain a few things first:

I own a few guns but haven't really shot them in a few years. I don't have the property, nor know anyone that will allow gun hunting or shooting on their property.

I grew up in a county where only shotguns were to be used during the whitetail gun season. When I was in my early 20's, I purchased my first rifle, a .243 for shooting ground hogs. I now live more south/coastal where ground hogs are unheard of.

I have been hunting a spot that is archery only and have recently decided to try my hand at hunting a local public game preserve next season. As rifles are permitted, where I live now, I've been thinking about getting something a bit larger for hunting whitetail deer. I know many will say that my .243 is plenty of gun but I'm looking into something a bit larger. A caliber that interests me is the 7mm-08. I have heard great things about it and in the 139-140 grain range is plenty effective for putting meat in the freezer.

I've started looking around for ammo and the shelves are looking mighty baron. I'm not just talking about the 7mm-08, but everything. Maybe stores are wiped out from the season? Is it bad timing on my part? I've checked BassPro, Cabelas, Sportsman's Guide, my local Dick's Sporting goods, Walmart and they all seem short on selection. Walmart did have one offering for each of the more popular .270, .30-06 and 7mm mag and Bass Pro and some other online dealers may be stocked with these popular calibers. A buddy recommended getting the similar .308 because of better selection but I'm finding these hard to find as well.

I've looked into possible reasons for a shortage and can't find a viable one. The belief that the government is buying mass quantities of ammo seems a bit far fetched and IMO wouldn't really pertain to hunting cartridges. Pistol shooters seem to be in a similar boat. Anyone heard of any reason or am I just looking for hunting ammo at the wrong time of year?

Where I live we hunt whitetail and the occasional elk. My go-to rifle is a 30-06 with 180 grain loads for both. I've never had anything take more than a step after being shot with that load. I really like the 30-06 for its versitility. You can find a very wide range of loads for it that can dispatch anything you will hunt in North America.

As for the ammo shortage. I feel it's really being driven by an unreasonable demand for ammo right now. In Kentucky the shelves are quickly being restocked to normal levels at all places that sell ammo except for Walmart. 22lr rounds are still a little difficult to find, but this will pass too. The worse fear I have as far as ammo goes is my fear that the EPA will get control over the lead content in ammo. If that happens, everything will become a mess. It isn't to much of a concern in Kentucky at this time, we are one of the top 5 most gun freindly states, but we need to stay on top of our representatives and remind them that a vote against guns will equal retirement.

The biggest reason for the ammo shortage at this time is the FEAR that everyone had when ythe government was talking about all the bans, with the school shootings and such everyone was running scared and the media was pushing everything to a frenzy. the stores around here are just starting to get some stock back on there shelves guess the scared people have bought all they want

I doubt the EPA will ever fully regulate lead out of existence as lead has a a lot of uses besides ammunition. Besides the government would go broke buying all copper ammo.

I could see states and the USFWS trying to ban lead ammunition for hunting use like California is doing.

In Illinois, for example, to hunt doves on state parks you have to use non-toxic shot and some parks require non-toxic ammunition for everything if the site is primarily used for waterfowl hunting. It's not an out and out ban but it's a slippery slope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

The gov will not go broke buying non lead ammo. The hole will just continue to get deeper or youll get to contribute more to buy it. Probably both.

Might also be part of the reason they contracted for a billion rounds or whatever it was.

I'll stick to my surplus ammo. Can't hike up the price of lead and have it effect me when my ammo was made back in the 60's, 70's and 80's with no lead. Steel core :)

Back