Is she stuck Captain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnyb73

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just did my first All Grain Kolsch 2 1/2 weeks ago.
I just did a hydrometer reading & its still at 1035!
It started at 1052 and when I taste it, it's (for a lack of a better word ) wheaty/grainy/starchy?
I have it currently fermenting in my garage, it's still a littler cool here in Canada EH!!
This is the recipe I used:
5 Gal Batch
OG 1.049
IBU:27

10.5 lbs Pilsen Malt-91.3%
0.5 lbs Munich-4.3%
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt-4.3%
1.5 oz. Hallertauer 60 min
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast
Mash 65 C (149 F) 90 min
Batch Sparge.
Boil 90 min
Fermented at 14C

Thanks for any info1
JOhn

If it tastes starchy, you probably didn't have full conversion during the mash. Warm the sucker up to room temp and add some amylase enzyme. That should slow drop the SG over time.

Well your fermentation temp seems fine. In fact almost perfect for a tasty 2565 Kolsch. Recipe looks perfect. I'm wondering if you pitched a yeast starter though? If you direct pitched from an activator it might take much longer to reach FG. I usually pitch the yeast from 3-3.5 qt starters.

I would consider warming it up to 60F (15.5 Celcius, Eh) at least for a few days and see if activity picks up. If not, maybe try another degree or two Too early to pitch amlase enzyme just yet, that would be a last resort for me. Two pennies.

Amylase enzyme is the same stuff that converts starches into sugars in the mash (and in human saliva, for that matter). So if there are any unconverted starches, the enzyme will take care of them, just a lot more slowly than a mash temps.

This is NOT the same as Ultra-Ferm or Beano, which is alpha-galactosidase and will convert things that amylase does not, resulting in hyperattenuation.

Back