Widmer Drop Top Amber Ale (clone) AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLeuck64

Reaction score
So I've been working on this recipe a while and feel like I am to the point of sharing it to get some feedback from others who like this style of beer also.

Size =5.5 gal
OG = 1.054
FG = 1.016
IBU = 23.1
SRM = 11.4
ABV = 5.27%
Eff. = 75.84%

Ingredients
8.0 lbs. 2-row
1.0 lbs. C15L (OK to use 10L here, C15 is just what my supplier had in stock)
1.0 lbs. Milk Sugar (lactose) added at flame out
0.5 lbs Briess - Extra Special Malt
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

Hop Additions
0.5 oz Magnum at FWH (first wort hop is when I am draining first runnings into the kettle.)
0.5 oz Simcoe at 5 min
0.5 oz Simcoe dry hop

Yeast
I cultured yeast from a couple of bottles of store bought Drop Top and it's my first choice for brewing this recipe! MSG me if you want to try this and I will assist. You could also substitute Wyeast 2565 Kolsch, it is a very close 2nd to the cultured yeast in my opinion.

Instructions
Mash in at 153 degrees F for 1 hour; I batch sparge with water hot enough to raise the grain to 165 degrees F; boil for 60 minutes, add hops as indicated above; add nutrient/Irish Moss at 10 min before end of boil; cool wort and pitch yeast when wort is 72F or lower; I ferment at 65F

Notes
I ferment for a couple of weeks in primary, then I add dry hops to the primary for another 7-10 days. The dry hop is totally optional, I just like a little more aroma is all.

I also bottle condition and I've noticed this recipe will really start to develop it's flavor after 2 weeks till its gone :drunk:

When I first started looking for clone recipes of this beer (and brewing some of them) I quickly determined that many on the web are just... wrong! So wrong! After spending some time looking at Widmer's site and realizing that the ingredients they use are not the same as the internet recipe's I decided to download Brewtarget and figure it out for my self. Hoping for some collective feedback with this current version so WE can dial it in ( ;

I have never had their Drop Top Amber Ale, but anything with Simcoe in it is interesting to me. Subscribing.

I did frequent their brewpub in Portland back in their hefeweizen days (1998) and loved their stuff.

Doing a little side by side comparison tonight. Color looks purdy close. Mine on the left has a wee bit more bitterness than the original on the right. I suppose I could back off on the FWH and just do a 60 min. addition instead. I really don't mind a few extra IBU's though.

Where I missed is on the mouth feel. My clone feels a little thin versus the thick mouth feel of a Widmer. I am thinking of bumping up the mash temp a few degrees next time, maybe 155F or 156F.

Both are very drinkable! :drunk:

IMG_20150510_181712.jpg

2nd go around with this batch was... a dismal failure. The starter I made with 2nd generation of cultured yeast from a store bought bottle became infected. Yucky :mad: beer.

Trying a 3rd round using Wyeast Kolsch 2565. I am changing from a FWH addition of Magnum to a 60 min. addition. Also moving the Simcoe hop addition to 45 min.

Argh! Messed up on my hop additions with this batch so the IBU's were around 30 (and it tasted like it). Still drinkable... just too bitter. If at first ya don't succeed... keep on sucking until ya do succeed! nyuk nyuk nyuk ( ;

Ugh... backing off on the IBU's made the milk sugar addition to over powering! This batch is still drinkable just sweeter than I was looking for. Back to the drawing board...

Not intending to wake up a sleeping thread...
Ever do another try? Or was your first pass at it the closest you came?
Anyone else have a clone of this amber? Widner's droptop is very good, and I would like to clone it.

Not intending to wake up a sleeping thread...
Ever do another try? Or was your first pass at it the closest you came?
Anyone else have a clone of this amber? Widner's droptop is very good, and I would like to clone it.

Naw, I haven't made it back to this recipe in a long time. Once I got a pallet for IPA' s it seems like I never got back to the Amber Ale clone...

Back