Totally confused.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chatters

Reaction score
So I've brewed a good number of batches, and this is the first I'm totally confused what all went wrong.
I brew small batches (2.5 and BIAB).

Recipe Imperal Simcoe IPA:

5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.1 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 2 18.3 %
4.7 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
4.7 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
0.26 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.4 IBUs
0.26 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 55.0 min Hop 6 16.1 IBUs
0.26 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 15.1 IBUs
0.26 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 12.6 IBUs
0.26 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 8.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.5 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 11 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Mashed at 4.14gallons.

I did a yeast starter (650ml) 2 days before with WLP001 pure pitch. that was MFG : June 27th, best by Dec 15.
sg: 1.040

Brew day: July 21st.

After mash I got 1.057 before the boil, was expecting 1.054
(Checked with ATC Refractometer and hydrometer)
Also passed the iodine test.
Got a little higher then expected, but I was ok with that.

after mash, I had less water then I was expecting to I topped it up. I had 3.75 gallons and was expecting 4.14gallons. so I topped up to 4.14.

One issue I know happened is I didn't have a hard enough boil going this time, and ended up with more water then was planned. 3.5gallons after chilling was expecting around 3.14 gallons which should get me to 2.75 - 2.5gallons chilled.

I measured after racking to the carboy before yeast and got a 1.049 sg.
I thought this was odd, going from 1.057 to 1.049 and I measured over with both refractometer and hydrometer.

Figured oh well, live and learn. I'll just end up with a session extra pale ale.

Pitched at 72 degrees.

It's been fermenting at 65-67 degrees since the 21st. (2 weeks 4 days). I figured I'd take the first reading.

I got 1.030sg (atc refractometer)
Sample was nice and hoppy and good smell. Did get a odd maybe sour/sweet with hop note.
Switched out the blow off tube which was in star san, for bung and airlock. (tube was slimy on the end that was in the star san. assume it was the star san reacting with the blow off tube.)

I know fermentation is not done, I also tend to let them sit for 3-4 weeks. But I don't see this getting from 1.030 - to 1.020. Seems like a large jump. There also is a massive yeast cake on the bottom. about inch and 1 half thick in a 3 gallon carboy, and a lot of particles in suspension.

tl;dr
So I got
pre-boil: 1.057 (expected 1.054)
post-boil: 1.049 (expected 1.074) - big miss
First FG reading: 1.030sg (2 weeks 4 days) with WPL001 600ml starter 1.040 (expected 1.020)

What temp did you mash at? If u want to kock it up a % abv next time toss a # of honey in?

1.030 after 2 weeks??? what temp did you mash at and did you aerate well??

few things aren't right. a lower SG after boil just can't happen. Something was done or read wrong somewhere.

I'm guessing you wort temp was higher than your hydrometer is calibrated for and you didn't adjust for the temp difference. Only way your gravity could be lower.

After mash I got 1.057 before the boil, was expecting 1.054 ... after mash, I had less water then I was expecting to I topped it up. I had 3.75 gallons and was expecting 4.14gallons. so I topped up to 4.14 ... I measured after racking to the carboy before yeast and got a 1.049 sg.

so you diluted the 1057 wort down to 1049 ???

It's been fermenting at 65-67 degrees since the 21st. (2 weeks 4 days). I figured I'd take the first reading.

I got 1.030sg (atc refractometer)

was that reading adjusted for the presence of alcohol ??

Maybe I missed something. Not trying to be a wisea$$ but you said you checked SG with a refractometer. Once fermentation starts a refractometer is no longer accurate. Did you apply a correction factor or check it with a hydrometer?

I wish you would have taken a hydro or refrac. reading after you had topped up before your boil. This would have helped a lot to figure out what's going on, but like people have mentioned...if you measured the fermented beer with a refrac...it will not give you an accurate reading because alcohol is present...use your hydro and see what it is reading.

Maybe I missed something. Not trying to be a wisea$$ but you said you checked SG with a refractometer. Once fermentation starts a refractometer is no longer accurate. Did you apply a correction factor or check it with a hydrometer?

Ha! I totally forgot about that.

Biscuits said:
I wish you would have taken a hydro or refrac. reading after you had topped up before your boil...
Yeah same, I took before I topped up.
My guess I was at 1.057 and when I topped up I diluted to 1.049 - 1.050.

Bellybuster said:
few things aren't right. a lower SG after boil just can't happen. Something was done or read wrong somewhere.
It can. When I diluted, it lowered it. I didn't recheck after I added water. :(

so with the correct calc I'd be at ~1.017
I'll take a hydro later and see how it matches up.

If your mash temp was on the high side, 1017 may be as good as it gets. Check with a hydro and then check again 3 days later. If it doesn't budge, you're done. Should still be a decent session IPA. I've had some really good brews come out of screw ups. You never know :)

Latest posts

Back