Is my stc1000 busted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sturg78

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a mini fridge hooked up to a socket controlled by an stc1000. Worked fine for a few months until I moved my fridge. Now, it turns on, shows temp, and will turn my heater on when too cold. When temp reaches too warm, the stc will switch to cooling and after blinking for a minute will click on. When the light is solid there is still no power running to the socket. I have replaced the socket and all the wiring as well as switched heat and cold sockets and everything works except for the cooling setting sending power to socket.

Can you fry just one setting? Did I fry the cooling controller? Is it repairable or should I just order a new controller.

Thanks

How long do you wait? The stc has a built in compressor delay for cooling and will take additional time to cylce the cooling on. This is a variable you can change in the settings. I think default is 5 min, so it would take 5 min from when the cooling light turns on til there will be power to the outlet

Sent from myPhone

I have it set for a minute. The cooling light will blink for one minute and then switch to solid with a audible click. I have waited a few minutes beyond that with no power output

Might be a stupid question but have you checked the "cooling" socket with something other than the fridge? Might be a busted fridge.

Probably fried the relay contacts. While they are rated at 10 amps, a compressor (even a small one) will show a spike of 12-14 amps on start-up. I suspect that, with time, this will cook the contacts thus causing the failure. I use one, and because of this I am getting ready to install a 30-amp mini relay in my box to operate the cool side (as soon as it gets here). Cheap fix, and I know I'll never have to worry about it again.

Yeah I checked it on other devices, definitely busted. My fridge at it's lowest setting cools to around 65 so I will just have to wing my current brew temps until I can replace the controller.

Hopinjim, how does a relay fix the issue? I am not well versed with electronics but would appreciate a quick explanation

Back