Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcardenas

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently brewed my first batch of beer using safale US-05. I've noticed it has a thin white layer over the beer and i want to ask you if this beer is in fact infected. I have already tasted the beer and it taste fine, no sour notes or anything but still I'm a little worried. This is a picture of my fermenter.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-28 at 6.33.38 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-28 at 6.33.38 PM.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 66
I've been lucky I guess. In almost 9 years of brewing I've never gotten a pellicle like that. So, my advice is only based on other threads I've read. Probably others with more personal experience will jump in with advice.
First off, it won't kill you, or even harm you. Will it taste good? Depends on what the contaminant is and also if you like sour or funky stuff. Most of the time, the advice I've seen is siphon from below the surface, keg or bottle it and drink it quickly.
Me- I'd toss it. I'm not a fan of sours or funks.

I've been lucky I guess. In almost 9 years of brewing I've never gotten a pellicle like that. So, my advice is only based on other threads I've read. Probably others with more personal experience will jump in with advice.
First off, it won't kill you, or even harm you. Will it taste good? Depends on what the contaminant is and also if you like sour or funky stuff. Most of the time, the advice I've seen is siphon from below the surface, keg or bottle it and drink it quickly.
Me- I'd toss it. I'm not a fan of sours or funks.
Jim,

Thanks so much for your advice. I will bottle it and drink it as fast as I can. throwing it away would make me very sad :(

That is definitely a pelicle, not from your yeast but something else. Its probable that your bucket doesn't seal well. If you like the flavor then no big deal. Clean and sanitize very well to try and remove the bugs from the bucket.

Back