Is my batch infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I brewed this hazy IPA six weeks ago. It was an all green recipe and I use a yeast starter to get it going. It is in the secondary and there was some white powder looking stuff on the top. I am planning to bottle today, however I am not sure if it is mold or an infection. I did dry hop, however there were milky looking bubbles on the top prior to dropping the Hops in. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• EB655696-B4A7-453A-A50D-E1815CF3E087.jpeg
    EB655696-B4A7-453A-A50D-E1815CF3E087.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 0EBEADED-59D1-415D-BD14-513EA05570C4.jpeg
    0EBEADED-59D1-415D-BD14-513EA05570C4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Might taste good, might not. Are you going to throw it out without trying it?

What do you mean by green recipe? If you used wild yeast obtained on your own, then you never will be certain if it's good beer yeast or bad beer yeast.

All grain recipe, auto correct got me. It didn’t smell and I bottled it today. It didn’t taste off. I definitely would not dump it, I just as just checking to see if anyone ever had this happen to their batch. I have done probably 50 5 gallon batches and have never had this happen.

Though I don't see much talk about it, if you take a SG reading and it's significantly lower than the FG you expected, then it might be additional evidence that it possibly could be infected over and above the visual evidence.

Infection is seldom poisonous. If you have hairy or fuzzy looking blackish green or greenish black stuff growing everywhere inside the headspace of your FV, then that might be one you shouldn't taste.

One thing i learned is let a beer ride and make decisions when its finished, beer spoilers usually take some time to show themselves its not a over night thing, the yeast, ph drop during fermentation, hops and our meticulous cleaning and sanitizing really lower our risk, idk how long you been brewing but if you are new your chances are even lower cause of the worry of infection and extreme sanitation practice, a experienced brewer is more likely to get infection due to getting lazy and/or too comfortable brewing and lets something slip by, i cant see the pic that clearly but from what i see looks fine, i would taste it and if it’s funky or sour maybe something got in but i bet its all good and if you’re anything like me the beer will be gone in short order thus rendering a “infection” null and void

"Infection is seldom poisonous." I think that's right. In fact, I think infection ain't never poisonous. If it were poisonous, one of two things would have happened:
1. Humans gone from earth.
2. No beer.

Well, I guess one thing would have happened, as these seem to be a distinction without a difference.

Probably won't taste very good, though. You've bottled it. The work is done. Give it a try, and make sure you come back here and provide a Beer Advocate-type review.

Back