is it stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJPalenchar

Reaction score
So my first batch is in the primary fermenter pitched on Friday night (wort was at 65 when I pitched) and put it in the closet. By saturday morning it was starting to bubble through the airlock at 68 degrees. I peeked at the temp throughout the day and it stayed steady at 68 and was bubbling through the airlock at a fast pace. Woke up Sunday morning and it was still bubbling but the temperature was at 74. I moved my bucket down to the basement and the temp came down over about 4-6 hours to 64 and the bubbling slowed drastically. It's back in my closet at 68 deg but with little to no bubbling at all. Any advice at all? Thanks in advance

DJ

Wait another 7-10 days and take a gravity reading. It sounds like a perfectly normal fermentation so far. At that point you can do a secondary or leave it in primary for another week or three. Patience Grasshopper!

The cool spot was maybe a little cool but not drastically so. I ferment most ale yeasts at 64-66 degrees. Too warm is much more of a problem than cool, unless it is cold enough to make the yeast go dormant. Usually less than 60 degree.s

What was the OG? What yeast? Forget about the airlock as they are poor indicator of fermentation. What is the gravity?

I sat for about 5 minutes with no bubbles. Is that normal at this stage?

The bubble part may be over, but it's best to wait until 2 weeks from your brew day then get a gravity sample. Take another 4 days later. If they are the same, and not abnormally high, it's done.

I will post all off my notes when I get off work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Home Brew mobile app

Brewers best extract kit: Chocolate Milk Stout
IBUs : 24-28
ABV: 4.5-5.2
OG: 1.045-1.049

2 lbs CBW sparkling amber DME
1/2 lbs crushed caramel 120 L malt
1 lbs crushed chocolate malt
1 lbs lactose
1/4 lbs organic cacao (cocoa nibs)
3.3 lbs CBW special dark LME
.5 oz cluster hop pellets (14.2g)
.5 oz Magnum hop pellets (14.2g)
11.5 g Safale s-04 dry ale yeast

Brew Day 1/17/14 *OG 1.071
Notes:
5gallon of water brought to 160 deg steep grains for 20 min
Removed grain bag and brought to a rolling boil
Added all malts and lactose... constantly stirring until returned to boil
Added Magnum pellets when boiling
Boiled for 50 min added cluster pellets
Boiled final 10 min
Cooled wort to 65 deg
Poured wort to primary fermenter through metal mesh
*Pitched yeast before taking sample for OG removed lid to pull sample (don't trust reading)
Didn't bring total volume back up to 5 gallons

Directions suggest racking to secondary on day 5. Was going to wait till day 7 before transfering and let sit at least 2 more weeks before bottling.

Wait until day 7 and take a gravity reading. Then wait until day 9 and take another gravity reading. If, and only if, they read the same you should transfer. Or you could just wait 2 or 3 weeks in primary, check for final gravity then bottle. There is really no need to secondary unless you need the fermenter, want to add something or are aging for many months.

I do most my fermentations with primary only for 3 weeks.

I sat for about 5 minutes with no bubbles. Is that normal at this stage?

Depending on what batch of beer this is for you, it might be normal to stare at the air lock for 5 straight minutes .. but then again you are here, so normal may be a relative term.

Directions suggest racking to secondary on day 5. Was going to wait till day 7 before transfering and let sit at least 2 more weeks before bottling.

Why would those Brewers Best instructions tell someone to transfer a milk stout to a secondary? That's just plain nonsensical. You gain nothing and increase the risk of oxidation via a needless siphon transfer plus having air in the headspace instead of CO2.

Just leave it in the primary two weeks, take a grav reading, wait four more days and take another. If they're the same, it's ready to add the nibs for however many days you want, then prime and bottle.

Be aware that this kind of beer gets much better with an extended bottle conditioning. If you can stand it, leave those bottles alone at room temp for 3 months. Your patience will be rewarded.

Yea the directions specifically say you have to have a secondary fermenter. I will grab a gravity reading on day 7 and see where I'm at. Should I be concerned with the fact that I didn't bring it back to 5 gallons? I know over priming is big issue...

Yes you probably should have brought it back up to 5 gals. That's why your OG came out so much higher than the recipe. Oh well, you will just have a higher ABV stout.

Your ferm temp might have been borderline high but prob not high enough to worry. Luckily since its a stout the beer is more able to withstand a few bumps in the road. Ride it out and enjoy your brew.

Next time top it off before you pitch and try to keep your ferm temp below 70 if you can.

Brew on bro!

Yes you probably should have brought it back up to 5 gals. That's why your OG came out so much higher than the recipe. Oh well, you will just have a
higher ABV stout.

Your ferm temp might have been borderline high but prob not high enough to worry. Luckily since its a stout the beer is more able to withstand a few bumps in the road. Ride it out and enjoy your brew.

Next time top it off before you pitch and try to keep your ferm temp below 70 if you can.

Brew on bro!

Why would those Brewers Best instructions tell someone to transfer a milk stout to a secondary? That's just plain nonsensical. You gain nothing and increase the risk of oxidation via a needless siphon transfer plus having air in the headspace instead of CO2.

Because the secondary is essentially for a clearer beer correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Home Brew mobile app

Back