Is it possible to start my own Kombucha from these probiotics without a scoby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabloso

Reaction score
Meaning can I create kombucha from scratch without a mother, scoby or store bought kombucha?

Attachments

• probiotics_BT (1).JPG
    probiotics_BT (1).JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 13
  • probiotics_BT (2).JPG
    probiotics_BT (2).JPG
    593.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm not sure that'll be enough... Looks like its mostly Lacto..

You'll need some acetobacter and some yeast... Fruit flies maybe for the acetobacter, and a pinch of bread yeast, perhaps? Or try to catch wild yeast..

Here's a link that gives a recipe for building a SCOBY w/ out starter tea:
https://www.bakingkneads.com/how-to-grow-scoby-without-kombucha

I know this probably isn’t the answer your looking for but if you just get some not pasteurized apple cider vinegar and add that to some sugar tea you’ll get a mother scoby and then you can just use that going forward.

I know this probably isn’t the answer your looking for but if you just get some not pasteurized apple cider vinegar and add that to some sugar tea you’ll get a mother scoby and then you can just use that going forward.

Yes thought about adding that.

Meaning can I create kombucha from scratch without a mother, scoby or store bought kombucha?
can you get an aceto heavy bug mix without buying one? yeah, easily.

can you get the right mix of bugs to recreate the scoby microbiome? probably not. it's a tricky balance of bugs that took a bunch of generations to start liking being room-mates.

Back