Found a (kombucha?) scoby in my supermarket bio apple cider vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onnaj

Reaction score
Hello,

A while ago I've bought apple cider vinegar from a supermarket. Now it's almost empty I'm seeing a scoby just like kombucha and/or jun. I'm wondering if I can use this scoby for making kombucha?

Thanks for the replies!

Attachments

• 20230805_210700.jpg
    20230805_210700.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230805_210716.jpg
    20230805_210716.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
That's more accurately called a vinegar mother. It's Acetobacter bacteria. There's no reason to assume it has the same bio diversity as a Kombucha SCOBY. I would be not.

Ah okay, thanks for the quick reply!

I may assume I've bought healthy apple cider vinegar then. Maybe I can make my own from now on :)

You can use that mother to make awesome wine vinegar… if you have a supply or half consumed red or white wine bottles. Just get a large fermenter and let the acetobacter do its job.

You can use that mother to make awesome wine vinegar… if you have a supply or half consumed red or white wine bottles. Just get a large fermenter and let the acetobacter do its job.
Unfortunately I cannot tolerate alcohol otherwise that would be a really cool option!

Unfortunately I cannot tolerate alcohol otherwise that would be a really cool option!
You didn’t understand.

If you have a job like being a bartender, or waiter, and there’s often half full bottles… then you have a source to make artisanal wine vinegars.

Back