Is beer more bitter at bottom of primary? Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotSoNew2Brew

Reaction score
I'm racking a batch soon. I am going direct from primary to kegs, although instead of a 5 gallon, this time I am splitting it up in a 3 and 2 gallon for my buddy to take since he gifted me a burner..mine pooped out.

I am curios if when I rack the second keg, and since I will be closer to the bottom near the trub, will one keg be more bitter than the other...?

Thnx peeps

I'm racking a batch soon. I am going direct from primary to kegs, although instead of a 5 gallon, this time I am splitting it up in a 3 and 2 gallon for my buddy to take since he gifted me a burner..mine pooped out.

I am curios if when I rack the second keg, and since I will be closer to the bottom near the trub, will one keg be more bitter than the other...?

Thnx peeps

Shouldn't make a different.

I think it will depend on how settled out it is. If it's been sitting a few weeks...or a few days cold crash...it should be pretty homogenous.

Is there any visual difference you can see from top to bottom of the primary?

Any trub that ends up in the second keg will settle out and come out in the first couple pours. Bitterness should be uniform throughout the fermenter since it comes from isomerization in the boil. The trub itself may cause some astringent flavors, but once it's settled out and purged what's left should all be uniform.

Hop oils stick to yeast and therefore can make things more bitter while the yeast is still in suspension. Obviously, yeasts settles downward which means that while the yeast is still settling the beer at the bottom of the fermenter will be more bitter than at the top. How much more bitter is totally dependent on recipe, yeast strain used, and how much is still settling.

If it's well crashed and clear/bright, then it should be pretty homogeneous, otherwise the lower section will be more bitter to some extent.

Well... a little more bitter, and a lot more yeasty!

I'd fill your buddy's keg first, just so he doesn't get that first pour or two of trub.

I crash at 34 degrees a few days. I'm also dry hopping pellets for a week before crashing.

Thanks all, I think there wont be any concern. Thought id ask tho.

Back