First Cyser racking- what to top up with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I racked my first ‘gallon’ of cyser today - SG was down to 1.001 and I stirred up some sediment too. (started Oct 7 at OG 1.111) It’s still fizzing slightly and I expect the SG will go down a bit more, but I wanted the practice with the autosiphon (also a first time tryout).
Anyway, my questions are:
a) since its still apparently fizzing, am I ok to leave the headroom? Primary was in the plastic jug, and I moved it into a glass carboy.
b) if (when) I need to re-rack for the true secondary, what to top it up with? Water maybe is easiest, but would stabilizing (K sorbate & K metabisulfite) and filling with new cider be OK? I think that’d amount to back-sweetening, and be ok for a still cyser.

thanks for your help!

a) How much head room do you have? Maybe a picture.

b) I'd top up with more apple juice so you aren't diluting body and abv but you will restart fermentation unless you stabilize first. That will definitely add some sweetness.

IMG_4155.jpeg
apple juice, I like that idea since its already clarified. I think this is down maybe a couple of cups?

I think its good, it added a little sweetness & apple flavor. I also added a partial cinnamon stick and some ground vanilla (2 tsp, ~1 bean worth) and bottled after about 4 weeks (it was crystal clear but I stirred up a bit of lees). Red capsules for Apple!

Attachments

• IMG_4419.jpeg
    IMG_4419.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back