Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it’s the actual unit. I checked again today after getting back from a weekend vacation and it’s a bit more off then I thought it was... titled back to corner where the water is leaking from. Bought an adjustable base for appliances and will install it once I get it to level out and hopefully that fixes it
Any chance it is the actual glycol leaking out?
Also- if you overfill the resorvoir it WILL leak out of the bottom per the instructions

Any chance it is the actual glycol leaking out?
Also- if you overfill the resorvoir it WILL leak out of the bottom per the instructions
Nah, it’s water. I cleaned up a puddle, definitely water. I had to put the pumps in after I filled the reservoir, I know how that feels when it leaks out :) My reservoir is still full

Nah, it’s water. I cleaned up a puddle, definitely water. I had to put the pumps in after I filled the reservoir, I know how that feels when it leaks out :) My reservoir is still full
Yeah weird then.
Maybe a drip pan in the unit that must be level. Well that's it for my pathetically limited ability to help.
Hopefully the level dohickey helps!
Otherwise contact Eric/ Penguin. Always been helpful for me.

Anyone have issues with excessive condensation/leaking from the unit? The room the unit is in is usually never above 80 and cooled via AC even humidity runs high but I have quite a bit of condensation coming out that I need to find a drain pan for it. It’s also not 100% level, which I’m currently working to fix

Did you resolve the condensation issue? My 1/3 hp is doing the exact same thing...big puddle under the unit.

Did you resolve the condensation issue? My 1/3 hp is doing the exact same thing...big puddle under the unit.
I did, 2 things... make sure you aren't close to the open copper where the temperature comes out. Not even overfilling, but i had a lot of condensation when it was super humid in my area that would puddle and get into the reservoir... I check this all the time now to make sure its not filling. Also, i spoke to penguin and they sent me some pieces to put in the rear corner to block water from escaping an open hole. They said normally the condensation would evaporate before it filled up enough to leak, but in high humidity areas and when not running a lot to hold temperature, could fill before it has a chance to evaporate. I would give them an email or call and see if they would send you the kit.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I’ll take a close look at those things you mentioned.
I also emailed Eric from Penguin for assistance.

Much appreciate!

If the condensate is coming from the temp of a concrete floor under the cooling tank, I would create more distance between the floor and botton of chiller tank, if the tank itself is sweating its an indication its poorly insultated and you can try insulting it further with some form of spray or closed cell insulation. I would contact penquin to be sure you dont void any warranties or they dont have a better solution for you as I see you've done.

One last thought, if you have it filled close to the overflow drain limit, perhaps the turbulance from the pumps when running caused some glycol/water to spill into the overflow? I ran into this once with my chiller.

Thanks...I have it situated on the bottom shelf of a restaurant equipment table; so, no contact with the concrete floor.
Eric from Penguin is sending out a “plate” kit that will allow for the condensation to flow to a larger collection area to give it additional time to evaporate.
Penguin has been extremely quick in responding to my issue. Hopefully this corrects the problem.
I have attached a photo. Unfortunately, I didn’t catch it quick enough to prevent the shelf from rusting. Once I’m done cold crashing, I will clean it up a bit.

Attachments

• E190A422-C4BA-4FE0-BA59-75AA4238CB5A.jpeg
    E190A422-C4BA-4FE0-BA59-75AA4238CB5A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
What did that poor glycol chiller ever do to you to deserve this??
:D :D :D
I recommended it as an option IF the tank was sweating due to poor design and insufficient insulation to begin with.. All the professionally designed chillers Ive seen have foam insulation between the inner and outer tank liner to prevent sweating and to make the unit more efficient. You can find this same type of sweating on an old fridge where the insulation in the wall has broken down and compacted. from the picture above there doesnt appear to be substantial feet on the bottom of the chiller if any. I would have to think just adding some sort of spacer to create distance and promote airflow between the chiller bottom and the shelf would help.

Last edited:
...you can try insulting it further with some form of spray or closed cell insulation. I would contact penquin to be sure you dont void any warranties or they dont have a better solution for you as I see you've done.
Let me try one more time... ;)

Thanks...I have it situated on the bottom shelf of a restaurant equipment table; so, no contact with the concrete floor.
Eric from Penguin is sending out a “plate” kit that will allow for the condensation to flow to a larger collection area to give it additional time to evaporate.
Penguin has been extremely quick in responding to my issue. Hopefully this corrects the problem.
I have attached a photo. Unfortunately, I didn’t catch it quick enough to prevent the shelf from rusting. Once I’m done cold crashing, I will clean it up a bit.

For what it's worth.... I have a 1/3HP Penguin myself. Love the thing, and really love the fast personal response from the Owner (Eric).
At any rate... I have an issue with the condensation from the insulated tubing running up to fermentor (which is on a plastic harbor freight push cart- spike cf5 above, penguin chiller below) dripping liquid.
For how I see your picture... Is it possible the "leak" is the same thing? I see your insulated tubing lines running up, just like mine do. Any chance you are having condensation drip down them, and they puddle right next to your chiller?
My solution was to add a little plastic container under the lines to catch the condensation.

Yeah weird then.
Maybe a drip pan in the unit that must be level. Well that's it for my pathetically limited ability to help.
Hopefully the level dohickey helps!
Otherwise contact Eric/ Penguin. Always been helpful for me.

Just an FYI on leaking under the glycol reservoir. I had this issue earlier in the year and called Penguin. What the guy told me was that older (earlier this year models) may have an issue where the temp probe goes into the reservoir. It’s the smaller tube with a black wire coming out. Anyway, liquid from the reservoir can drain through that tube and onto the ground, looking like condensation. He said that you can carefully fill that tube with silicone and it should stop. They have resolved that issue on the latest models. To verify this, when you’re having the issue, check the level of your reservoir and see if it’s at that tube level.

Just an FYI on leaking under the glycol reservoir. I had this issue earlier in the year and called Penguin. What the guy told me was that older (earlier this year models) may have an issue where the temp probe goes into the reservoir. It’s the smaller tube with a black wire coming out. Anyway, liquid from the reservoir can drain through that tube and onto the ground, looking like condensation. He said that you can carefully fill that tube with silicone and it should stop. They have resolved that issue on the latest models. To verify this, when you’re having the issue, check the level of your reservoir and see if it’s at that tube level.

I got the 1/3 HP model very recently, and the temp probe is sealed in a closed copper tube in the middle.

I’ve got a newer model chiller as well and have had condensation build up and rust a little bit on the bottom from this part attached. This part freezes then cools and drips condensation it’s in the back left. Eric said it’s no issue and that it sometimes doesn’t evaporate due to ambient conditions. The chiller has been great . Pics are kind of hard to get but incase anyone was curious.

Attachments

• 582D7673-4F51-4687-B07D-61FEB170B224.jpeg
    582D7673-4F51-4687-B07D-61FEB170B224.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 376C2AAF-07E6-4F40-A72A-14F2133B3084.jpeg
    376C2AAF-07E6-4F40-A72A-14F2133B3084.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 8
Back