Irish stout stalled fermentation, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdudek

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For the first time I decided to try a pack of dry east for fermentation (safale 04). The OG was 1.043. it’s been 9 days and has been stuck at 1.017 for 4 days now. I am looking for 1.010.

24339EDA-CB6D-46E7-9D71-D7734B4AE704.jpeg

mash lasted a couple of hours and was rock steady at 152.

it’s fermenting under controlled temperature at 68.

I’ve always used liquid yeast before and am used to be within a couple points of the FG within 4-5 days.

So first of all, should I just wait some more? Seems like if I was gaining a bit everyday I would just wait but it’s not moved in 4 days.

Any suggestion otherwise as far as getting it going again, given I’m missing about 7 points and would rather not get liquid yeast and make a brand new starter (or is that really the only option?)

thanks for the help

This yeast is rather dependable, especially at that starting gravity..... you trust the Tilt? (Assuming that’s what you’re using to MAP fermentation?

Not using a tilt. Taking small samples and using a digital refractometer. It’s been reliable before but maybe I’ll take a larger sample and check with a hydrometer just to compare.

Took a hydrometer reading. 1.018.
Damn, I hoped it was that simple. ;)

Although she's usually very reliable, I had a 1.090 Old Ale stall at 1.030 using S-04. Whatever I tried for 2 weeks, it wouldn't budge. It does happen...

Maybe pitch an active starter?

well 2 days later and it's a solid 1.017. So i don't think it's going anywhere anynmore. I am tempted to pitch some active yeast just to see if i can finish it. I have some questions on that. I understand that i need to make a starter and pitch somewhere around high krausen...

given that i am only missing 7 points or so, a starter on a whole pouch of liquid yeast is going to be a lot of yeast. Can there be any adverse effect regarding an overpitch at this time?

any advice on the stater? something similar to any other starter? 1L of water, 100g of DME?

Latest posts

Back