Irish Moss Dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roryspa

Reaction score
Happy St. Patty's!
I am brewing a clone of DFH 90 min IPA it called for 1 tsp Irish Moss. Everything I needed was pre-measured by my brew shop guy (hes great) I assumed the IM was too. I dumped it in and then realized that there was likely to be more than i needed, 4 times more. I am wondering if it could possibly come out alright?
thanks!
Cheers!
~Joe

The Irish Moss is added to bind proteins and force them to settle out. Any extra will just drop out.

from what I understand, you'd have to add a lot before your beer would taste like seaweed. I think 4x is well within that limit.

The lady at my LHBS told me that I should use 1/4oz PER GALLON, so 1 1/4oz per batch. How will that affect my batch?

Sorry to post a question is someone else's thread.

bobby1212 said:
The lady at my LHBS told me that I should use 1/4oz PER GALLON, so 1 1/4oz per batch. How will that affect my batch?

Sorry to post a question is someone else's thread.

Well, I have no idea has many tsp's of IM are in an ounce. Did you actually weigh out 1.25 ounces? I think I buy it in a 1 ounce bag, so if you put a whole bag in, that's a lot! It's probably .25 ounces per BATCH, or 1 tsp per batch.

Yooper Chick,

It was .25oz per gallon, she even wrote it on my package. I buy it in 1oz packages also. I thought it was alot since everything I have seen is about 1 tsp per batch.

I like Whirlfloc tablets. I use one per 5 gallons of wort, and it works great. No measuring, no weird leichen looking stuff (powdery chemicals instead...oh well...). Works for me!

bobby1212 said:
Yooper Chick,

It was .25oz per gallon, she even wrote it on my package. I buy it in 1oz packages also. I thought it was alot since everything I have seen is about 1 tsp per batch.

Well, that's obviously too much, but I don't imagine it will affect your brew at all. The excess should just precipatate out anyway. Next time, go ahead and use 1 tsp per batch.

Back