IPAs and Hop Comboinations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradis86

Reaction score
I decided to try and have an IPA recipe all my own recently and so this summer I thought I would spend it perfecting one. I wanted to post the hops combos I have used so far maybe someone will have some pointers or ideas and maybe this info can help someone else trying to get a better grasp on hop flavors.

My first brew was an interesting one I used Apollo, Centennial, Citra.
The schedule was as follows
45min (1oz Cent)
30min (1oz Citra)
Whirlpool after boil (1oz Apollo,1oz Citra and 1oz Cent)
Fermentation hop a couple days in (2oz Citra,1oz Cent and 1oz Apollo)

Flavors on this were interesting Apollo had an interesting onion garlic smell to it and that comes through a little in the final beer it mellowed with time but its still there. Interesting that several friends really like this beer but feel that there is just that slight off flavor in it. I would give this beer a 75 out of 100 a lot of good things to work off of on this.

My second IPA attempt of the summer was a 1hop Azacca try. The schedule as follows.

60 min (2.5oz)
Whirlpool post boil (4.5oz)
Fermentation hop (3oz starting 2 days in 1oz per day until 3oz added.)

This beer considering how many hops I put in there was not bitter at all. I had read that Azacca hops are very subtle and I think that really hits it on the head. They are floral and tropical but very faint and not overpowering. It was a 7.2% beer and it came out very smooth. Guy friends are not very fond of this beer saying its not like a real IPA all women family members and friends LOVE this beer. Even though technically its an 64 IBU beer it may just be better labeled as a pale ale. I like the hops and flavor of them but they are just not strong.

My next recipe is going to be a little remake of the first one but after research I am moving the Apollo hop from late addition to only a 60min bittering hop after reading it provides a smooth bittering. I am going to take out the Centennial and instead use Galaxy Citra and Azacca as my late additions and fermentation hopping.

If anyone has any advice or ideas pointers whatever let me know please and sorry for the dragged out post.

You've probably discovered that Apollo was traditionally a bittering hop. As it's so cheap I suspect some folks are trying it out later in the brew where post-boil hop bills can get huge - and costly.

It's interesting that you fingered the Apollo with the garlic/onion notes, as those are actually something Centennial can exhibit. I don't have much experience with Apollo - in 2017 I only used 2 ounces total (not enough to invest in a full pound like virtually every other strain I use). I don't recall any garlic/onion aroma and that would be something I look for on any hop strain as it can be indicative of problems.

Generally, these days I stay away from herbal-forward strains as late additions for IPAs given the currently evident characterization of that style (clearly "fruit-forward" and only moderately or even modestly bittered).

Galaxy, Citra and Azacca, otoh, are right in the wheel house for the current trend. You could swap any of those with Mosaic and nobody would complain. I've done one NEIPA using Galaxy, Citra and Mosaic and it was a juice explosion. I just kegged another variation NEIPA with Galaxy, Simcoe - and Chinook as a twist (I've always loved Chinook for its palette-scraping character :D)

Cheers!

I have used Apollo a lot in finishing - but always in small quantities. Seems to be a "pinch of salt" when using hops that lean toward grapefruit. As a primary or stand alone in WP or DH, nope.

Yes when I smelt the Apollo I could smell strong garlic onion and I remember reading something that Russian river brewer said that you should stay away from those hops for late and dry hop additions. But there may be people that like that who knows.

I was recently given some Galaxy hops by a local brewer and was not familiar with them so I tried SMASH IPA to see what they were like. Also I can call the beer Guardians of the Galaxy IPA :rock:On brew day the whole house smelled like a pot shop. They were that dank. I dry hopped half the batch with Galaxy and the other with Citra (2 oz for 5 gallons). The Galaxy half came at very bitter and grassy but not unpleasantly so. The Citra half is much soother and doesn't have the grassy character.

Just found this thread. Apollo can certainly have an onion/garlic aroma and flavor once it becomes a little oxidized. Summit, centennial, citra, and frankly any high alpha variety can definitely go that route.

Galaxy, Citra and Azacca, otoh, are right in the wheel house for the current trend. You could swap any of those with Mosaic and nobody would complain. I've done one NEIPA using Galaxy, Citra and Mosaic and it was a juice explosion. I just kegged another variation NEIPA with Galaxy, Simcoe - and Chinook as a twist (I've always loved Chinook for its palette-scraping character :D)

A brewery local to me dry-hops one of their IPAs with Citra, Mosaic, and Chinook. It's fantastic. I brewed an IPA late last year with Citra, Ekuanot, and Centennial as the dry-hop. The beer itself was mediocre but had a nice aroma - citrus zest with an undercurrent of spice and resin.

Back