IPA Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlogan

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My wife happened upon a homebrew store today while she was out of town, and decided to get me something. She described some of the characteristics I like to the guys there, and they gave her some grains, hops, and yeast. Apparently they had some of this "Cryo Cascade" on sale, which I've never used before, so that's pretty neat, but I'm not sure what hop schedule I should be using here.

She got..

10lbs 2-row
2lbs Vienna
1lb Caramel 10L
2oz Cryo Cascade
2oz Centennial
1oz Simcoe
and 2 packets of good ol' US-05 (I usually use 1 pack, but I can give 2 a shot)

So, looks like we're making an IPA, I just don't know how to figure out when to do my hop additions. I'm a fan of more dry hops than hops in the boil (the NEIPA craze is right up my alley, but I do also appreciate a good continually hopped IPA) and it looks like this Cryo Cascade stuff is supposed to be good for dry hopping. I've liked the beers I've dry hopped with Simcoe also. Could I do something like the Centennial at 60 minutes, and then the Cascade and Simcoe in the secondary for 7 days? I do think I have some other hops floating around also that didn't come with the kit - I'd need to double check what I have, but I could potentially do another hop addition in there somewhere if that might be good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Edit: After more research, it looks like the "Cryo Cascade" is aprox 2x as strong as the same amount of regular pellet? Maybe that plus the simcoe would be too much to use for dry hopping, and I should throw some of it in earlier?

Do you know a IPA that you really like? Reason I ask is you need to know your target for bittering. If there is a IPA that you know you like, maybe you can make your IBU target similar. I am also like you that prefer hop aroma vs bitterness.

Cryo hops are about twice as potent, so I plugged it into beersmith as 2oz, not the 1oz listed below. This would target of 40IBUs (if you wanted to use all your hops).

Simcoe 1oz @ 60
Cascade 1oz Whirlpool / Flameout x 30 minutes
Centennial 1oz Whirlpool / Flameout x 30 minutes
Cascade 1oz Dryhop
Centennial 1oz Dryhop

That schedule would put you at about 40 IBU's, OG 1.061 range.

If you want to change cascade / centennial from whirlpool to 30 minute boil additions you would be around 54 IBU's (depending on AA% of your hops)

Download Beersmith, it has free 2 week trial. Full disclosure, I am new to it so just plugging stuff in like a noob.

You don’t need to change the amount of hops in BeerSmith. Just change the alpha acid of the hop to the alpha acid listed on the package of hops.View attachment 572368

I realize that, but since he only listed the varietal of hops I just did the recipe off of "default" alpha acid and the idea the cryo are 2:1 ratio.

OP, if you want I can put in the actual number if you so desire to list them.

Either way gets you in the ballpark, but I like your ideas of trying BeerSmith for 2 weeks free the best. Definitely worth the money if your doing all grain, especially if you want to make your own recipes.

Thanks! I do have a paid copy of Beersmith already, I'm just not really sure what I'm doing in there. I usually start with a kit and make some tweaks, but since I don't have the initial instructions here, I'm not sure what to base it off of. As for IPAs I like, well, I like pretty much the whole spectrum - I made a Pliny the Elder clone a year or two ago with 13oz of hops and some obscene IBUs that was fantastic, but I also made an NEIPA a month ago that didn't have much in the boil and had tons in both the primary and secondary - I loved both of those, and pretty much everything in between, so I guess I'm just trying to figure out what would be most appropriate given the ingredients I have.

Just talked to my wife again, and it's apparently supposed to be a West Coast IPA, so I'm guessing I should be doing a couple more additions during the boil?

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back