IPA FG is stuck whats the issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbbeldums1

Reaction score
Did a Brewers best IPA kit. I was going to dry hop it tonight because it's been two weeks in the primary. I did a gravity reading to make sure it was at FG. The instructions say 1.014-1.017 should be the FG. The OG was 1.061 which is what it was supposed to be. I took a temp of my reading and it was 67.5. I don't have temp readers on my buckets but I keep it in a closet that keeps them between 65-70 degrees. What can I do to get it to the FG? ANYONE????? HELP???? LOL

That would help if I put that in lol. It 1.022 right now. A week ago it was 1.1024

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

That would help if I put that in lol. It 1.022 right now. A week ago it was 1.1024

A week ago it was 1.024, and today it's 1.022? That's not too bad- I've had lots of extract beers stop at 1.020 or thereabouts.

You can probably proceed with dryhopping, if the beer is fairly clear. If it's still got lots of yeast cloudiness, wait until it clears a bit. When the yeast sediment falls out of suspension, it can "pull" the hops oils out with it so it's best to wait until the beer is clear, then dryhop for 5-7 days, and then package.

So am I stuck with a 5.1 % IPA then? That's what the OG and FG would make it??

So am I stuck with a 5.1 % IPA then? That's what the OG and FG would make it??

Yes, that's probably where it is going to finish although it could drop a few more points. The issue tends to be the unfermentability of certain extracts (particularly canned liquid extract), and the underpitching of yeast in beers over 1.060 or so.

As long as it tastes great in the end, you could chalk it up as a learning experience and try a new batch in the future that may be a better quality recipe with better ingredients, including yeast strain.

When dry hopping does that release co2? About a day after I dropped the pellets in my air lock is not showing some activity.

When dry hopping does that release co2? About a day after I dropped the pellets in my air lock is not showing some activity.

I just dropped some hops into my beer yesterday, for my first dry-hopping. I'm also getting some new bubbles in the airlock. I moved the carboy a bit to get it into a better position for adding the hops, which probably shook up some yeast that had dropped from suspension. That would account for some bubbling, since they "woke up."

Additionally, when I first put the hop bag in, it dropped like an anchor to the bottom of the carboy. By this morning, it had floated to the top. (Complete with some trub on it, which kind of bugs me. I didn't use the sterilized marbles technique for weighing the bag down, obviously, but I wasn't really expecting the bag to drop like it did. Just thought it'd steep on the surface.) Anyway, that's another possible way for the yeast to have woken up a bit -- the hop bag disturbing the yeast cake/trub.

I think any time you move the beer around a bit, you're likely to rouse some of the yeast. Hence why we both got some more bubbles in the air lock, even though we've been fermenting for a couple weeks and things had settled down before dry-hopping. Obviously I'm not an expert, but it makes sense to me. ;)

Where did you get the kit? What yeast did you use? What was the date on the yeast?

Maybe the kit was old and you had unhealthy yeast. Did you aerate the beer before you pitched?

Taste some. Look for green apple or butter aroma/flavors. If you dont taste them, heat up a sample to about 100 degrees and smell it again (the aromas will become stronger when heated). If you do get these your yeast stopped fermenting early... probably due to temp. or stress issues.

Session IPA :mug:

I just had one finish at 4%abv. Talk about session (I did it on purpose though, trying to make something similar to Founders All Day IPA in terms of low abv and crisp drink ability). The sg test sample went into a glass and down my gullet its nice. I'm going to dry hop in an hour and then after that and bottling I'm going to share the recipe if it stays this nice.

I should note that it went from 1.041 to 1.010. Extract

Latest posts

Back