IOWA Brewers! Echo, Echo, Echo...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think it's probably each to their own. I didn't start brewing till my oldest daughter was 3 she'll be 7 this November, but her and her sister love helping daddy cook. (actually they usually get bored but they do like helping bottling wine, and beer before I started kegging.) I wouldn't mind snagging one of those 3 gallon kegs but I'd better wait, swmbo would say 5 kegs is plenty.

I suppose that's true too. 2 months is too young to help, maybe I'll give her until she can crawl, and then make her clean stuff. :D

He had one 3 gallon left, which I grabbed. I don't know why, but I've always wanted one too. I was thinking for things like ciders that I don't want 5 gallons of. The guy mentioned he used them to take beer places as they fit better in coolers, which makes a lot of sense.

I have heard of them but have never been to a meeting or anything. Can you attend if you aren't a member?

Absolutely. How else would we get new members? ;)

https://www.facebook.com/CedarRapidsBeerNutsHomebrewClub
http://www.crbeernuts.org/
http://www.crbeernuts.org/2015/07/07/july-meeting/
Join us Thursday July 16th at Bricks Bar & Grill for our monthly meeting.
Social begins ~7:00
Meeting will begin ~8:00

Same rules as usual, Public is welcome. You may bring home brew to share or for critique. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Hey, marion here also. come check out the club some time. And come to the festival on aug29 :D

I will come to one soon, thanks! I've actually been meaning to make one but with two little boys things can get hectic. Hopefully I'll meet you soon!

Edit...darn app, tells me I can't post because it's been too close to last post even though it's been a few hours, then I wait 30sec and post again to see I've double posted.

Greetings! I often travel in and through the great state of Iowa, and during a fishing excursion a couple years ago, stopped in and had some great offerings from the Toppling Goliath brewery in Decorah. I thought this was my own little secret, and now it shows up in the Chicago Tribune. I have not seen their beer available in the Chicago area, but it says they may expand their distribution in the future. Thought you might like to see this article giving them some well-deserved respect.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...26-toppling-goliath-iowa-20150722-column.html

Greetings! I often travel in and through the great state of Iowa, and during a fishing excursion a couple years ago, stopped in and had some great offerings from the Toppling Goliath brewery in Decorah. I thought this was my own little secret, and now it shows up in the Chicago Tribune. I have not seen their beer available in the Chicago area, but it says they may expand their distribution in the future. Thought you might like to see this article giving them some well-deserved respect.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...26-toppling-goliath-iowa-20150722-column.html
Thanks for the link (too bad I have to register to read it) . TG used to be very hard to get your hands on even just 2 hours from the brewery. They have stepped up production and have contracted out to a place in FL as weird as that sounds to up production and distribution. Now I can walk into the store most any day and grab some TG.

Thanks for the link (too bad I have to register to read it) . TG used to be very hard to get your hands on even just 2 hours from the brewery. They have stepped up production and have contracted out to a place in FL as weird as that sounds to up production and distribution. Now I can walk into the store most any day and grab some TG.

I am not registered to the Trib, I use Google Chrome browser and I can read it. I just click the X on any box that pops up.
Is that Kentucky breakfast Stout available year round?

TG is good, and finally somewhat available in Des Moines, which is great.

I don't think the stout is available year round, but I'm not a TG expert by any means. I am not even sure how far out of Decorah it goes . . .

none of their "big" stouts are available ...... well, basically at all anymore. Kentucky Brunch, Morning Delight, Assassin..... they are small quantities, big price tag, hard to get ahold of.

For instance, Morning Delight is being released tomorrow. Mug Club members each get to reserve 1 bottle. 500 people were able to get into the release tomorrow and get 2 bottles, plus a 10 ounce pour in a glass they can keep (for $100). So, basically all of the morning delight is gone, and it has not actually come out yet.

Their regular stout (rover truck) is easily available.

..... and, I did drop $100 and was able to be one of the 500 going to the release tomorrow for Morning Delight. Should be a fun day..... but definitely steep.

none of their "big" stouts are available ...... well, basically at all anymore. Kentucky Brunch, Morning Delight, Assassin..... they are small quantities, big price tag, hard to get ahold of.

For instance, Morning Delight is being released tomorrow. Mug Club members each get to reserve 1 bottle. 500 people were able to get into the release tomorrow and get 2 bottles, plus a 10 ounce pour in a glass they can keep (for $100). So, basically all of the morning delight is gone, and it has not actually come out yet.

Their regular stout (rover truck) is easily available.

..... and, I did drop $100 and was able to be one of the 500 going to the release tomorrow for Morning Delight. Should be a fun day..... but definitely steep.

I'm jealous reading this, I've been wanting to try the morning delight, but didn't know it was so hard to get ahold of. I'm also a fan of their Irish red Murph's. Rover, Golden Nugget, Dorothy, and sue are all available near me now in 4 or 6 packs.

I went up to Madison to help a friend with some fallen trees from a recent storm. He had passed through Iowa recently and gave me a couple bombers of the TG Sosus double IPA, and a 4-pack of the Rover Truck stout. I haven't tried either yet, but will definitely have the Sosus this holiday weekend. He tells me the Kentucky bourbon stout will not be available for 2 years.

found some wild hops this past year, transplanted a rhizome to my place this spring and just got a small harvest off of them!! anyone else had any luck with finding them in the wild here in IA?

No Wild hops for me but I did find an elderberry plant(I think) by an old fence in my back yard... I saved 12oz... I heard you could make some wine from them though?

No Wild hops for me but I did find an elderberry plant(I think) by an old fence in my back yard... I saved 12oz... I heard you could make some wine from them though?

Yep you can! Google jack keller. He's got a whole bunch of wine recipes. A lot of the recipes on here came from that site or were adapted from his recipes.

Hey folks, mind if I join in? Native Iowan, CFHS and UNI grad who moved to Texas after college. Love Texas, but miss Iowa. I'll be coming home for Christmas this year, and looking forward to drinking some beers that I can't get down here. Hoping to visit Toppling Goliath if I can get enough family members on board for a road trip. (only about 80 miles) Otherwise, I will visit Singlespeed in downtown CF and check out the taps at Mulligans. Any place else in the CF / Waterloo area that I should definitely check out? Any home brewers in Cedar Falls? (no I haven't read this entire thread yet. I will eventually)

Welcome Tex! In the wise words of the late great Chris Ledoux; Where'd ya park your horse?

My wife has family in IA, I usually try to go have a pint or two at Worth Brewing when we go down there.

Do either provide tanks? Or only refills/swaps? Any idea on prices?
I called and got all the prices last year. The places I recommended are the low price for each item.
In any case, the most common thing you will need is a CO2 fill, and I think my 20lb tank fill at Hawkeye fire is about $20

my old spreadsheet says:
Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]
            , Hawkeye fire, Airgas (fill / tank+fill)
20lb co2    , forgot price, 30 / 133
10lb co2    , 85 tank+fill, 24 / 118
5lb  co2    , forgot price, 22 / 78
O2: 20 cu ft,             , tank ($70), fill ($20):
[/FONT]

I called and got all the prices last year. The places I recommended are the low price for each item.
In any case, the most common thing you will need is a CO2 fill, and I think my 20lb tank fill at Hawkeye fire is about $20

my old spreadsheet says:
Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]
            , Hawkeye fire, Airgas (fill / tank+fill)
20lb co2    , forgot price, 30 / 133
10lb co2    , 85 tank+fill, 24 / 118
5lb  co2    , forgot price, 22 / 78
O2: 20 cu ft,             , tank ($70), fill ($20):
[/FONT]

Thank you for the info, just ordered my kegging equipment on Saturday and assumed it would be cheaper to get the tank locally. Just wasn't sure where to start. Thanks again

Thought I'd check in. I am from rural northern Linn County, Coggon mailing address.. work in Cedar Rapids and am a member of the CR Beer Nuts.

Slow day at work, so I decided to finally join this forum as well (HBT).. I've stolen enough recipes (which I never follow exactly anyway) to justify it.

As for getting a CO2 tank in CR.. it's really hard to beat Hawkeye.. reasonable price and they are nice as all get go..

Fred

Back