IOWA Brewers! Echo, Echo, Echo...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spew out your dream system within reason. I need a place to earmark and store what others would do given a good chunk of cheddar.

lol, so I have a background in engineering and programming. Embedded systems are something I really enjoy. I'm starting to build brewing gear for folks as I'm sure you have seen the mills and gas distro stuff and what not. There's also lots of other stuff in the works, doing research on a non-nitro nitro system, digital dispensing hardware, and of course brew systems. Some of the ideas I have come up with are wild, which of course is fun but not always within reason. For instance a temp controlled, jacketed, non recirc mash system is one of them. I've done some work on a 50KW electric system, and even built a few controllers and induction coil set ups that are pretty damn wild. Like a 10 gallon system that goes from tap to biol in well under 10 minutes.

My dream system, or at least one now, would be fully automated. It would be a brand new system using none of my current "hand brewing" gear, because I brew cause I enjoy it. That way this new system would just keep the taps going. I would have grain in bins that dumped onto a belt scale, the mill would swing into position over the mash tun, the grain would dump into through the mill which was milling directly into the MT. Then it would swing out of the way and the mash timer would start. After mashing was done it would be pumped into the BK, boil would happen and vent through a valve.

Hops would be added at set points etc, then all the input valves would close and a sterile water valve would open. The tap water be opened and the wort would be cooled.

When I get home from work/school I would have a volume of cooled wert ready for me to drain into a fermentor and pitch to.

Wallah.

Sounds cool, but far above my pay grade and wallet. I'm all for temp control, unsure I care to leave the rest of the brewing up to a computer also. I still enjoy being hands on

Sounds cool, but far above my pay grade and wallet. I'm all for temp control, unsure I care to leave the rest of the brewing up to a computer also. I still enjoy being hands on

See, I do too. And I love being outside and relaxing on the patio during the boil and mash times. That's a big chunk of the fun for me. However, I'm so busy right now, I just can't keep up. Keep in mind that system I discribed above was the "dream" system. I definitly will be building a microprocessor controlled mash tun for this summer, and probably an EBK for next winter. Just so I can keep brewing through these damn Iowa winters.

Correct. I will still brew outside. I do ~2gal batches indoors in the winter, but that's just too small but it's fun to experiment.

I am quite lucky..... I already have basically my dream set up. When we built our house 15 years ago, my wife was good with me putting a brew room in the basement. It is a walkout basement, so there is a nice window and a wall fan for some ventilation.... although that really isn't much of an issue anyway to be honest. Hooked my brew system up to natural gas. 3 tier, all gravity, no pumps..... I like the hands on aspect of it all too. Plus, I am really not that much into anything mechanical/technological.

Absolutely the best thing about it all though is simply having an indoor space totally dedicated to brewing..... it makes everything so much easier when you don't have to drag stuff out and put it away. It is way easier to keep things clean and sanitary. I can basically decide to brew on a whim without having to plan ahead for a couple days. Regardless of what kind of set up or system you have - just having the dedicated space is by far the biggest advantage and convenience.

system.jpg

honestly, my dream set up would probably be something indoors- electric, I've viewed a few things online not sure if eherms or ebiab or erims is the direction I would go. I'd like to make the switch to all-grain having only done extract so far but like everything else I tend to do a lot of research and over complicate things before doing it and realizing it's easier than I thought. might have to make a trip to ames sometime and help on a brew day first.

My space is really limited. My 15CF keezer/ferm chamber is in the back left corner now and a utility sink will be going in near that main drain line. So you see I have very limited room to have friends over for brew days which I guess is rare.

255840d1423758215-bigdubz-big-basement-e-biab-img_6941.jpg

Hello my fellow Iowans. I live up by Storm Lake IA and have been recently bitten by the home brew bug. I am trying to get the last of my equipment together and hope to brew my first batch in the next week or two. I have made some wine and winecooler stufff before but am excited to get into beer.

Hello my fellow Iowans. I live up by Storm Lake IA and have been recently bitten by the home brew bug. I am trying to get the last of my equipment together and hope to brew my first batch in the next week or two. I have made some wine and winecooler stufff before but am excited to get into beer.

Welcome Goodale! Welcome to HBT, our ongoing Iowa brewers thread, and of course the addiction of home brewing!

Welcome Goodale! I'm not sure how we all got stuck on this one thread, when there is actually a whole section for Iowans. I guess we really are slow learners! :drunk: Anyway...welcome aboard your newest addiction!
Remember when you used to think there was nothing better than drinking beer? (except for sex) Well, brewing is gonna challenge that!

Welcome Goodale! I'm not sure how we all got stuck on this one thread, when there is actually a whole section for Iowans.

Because nobody ever used that section, which this thread is in, but this one thread has life. More life in fact then the Iowa section in all of my time on HBT. lol

It's nice to keep up with the local guys for sure. Just wait till it gets warmer and I will host a meet and greet!

Well, survived the epic brew day. 2 x 15lb mash. First runnings of both into the boil kettle for an imperial stout. Second runnings of both into buckets and then back into the mash tun as a second boil kettle after both mashes. Second beer will be some kind of black lager/schwarzbier/baltic porter.....

Beer #1 = 8 gallons of wort @ 1.11ish.... hoping for a bit higher, but that was not bad for first time trying this strategy. Did add 3lb DME. Spit the 8 gallons between two fermenters to allow for plenty of head space. 1728 scottish ale yeast in both, bubbling away at 59-60 degrees right now.

Beer #2 = 6 gallons of 1.050 wort. Added 1.5lb DME to bring it up a bit. Fermenting with German Lager X. Started at 46 and will let free rise to 50 for a couple days, then 51, 52, 53,54 over the course of the next 7-10 days.

All in all, a great way to brew a big beer I think. Got much better efficiency off of the two smaller mashes. Ended up with 8 gallons of RIS wort and 6 gallons of black lager wort. Long day ..... 7 hours or so, but, will definitely try this strategy again.

Stout 1.jpg

stout 2.jpg

stout 3.jpg

stout 4.jpg

stout 5.jpg

stout 6.jpg

Well, survived the epic brew day. 2 x 15lb mash. First runnings of both into the boil kettle for an imperial stout. Second runnings of both into buckets and then back into the mash tun as a second boil kettle after both mashes. Second beer will be some kind of black lager/schwarzbier/baltic porter.....

Well now doesn't that look tasty! What a brew day Brau, congrats man. Things have been busy here. I did get a bunch done. I got the bar room painted first coat, and spent the day in the shop today building cabinet cases. Got a lot done. Hope to get more done tomorrow.

Time to head over and update the thread.

neat.
I took advantage of the warm weekend to brew, and also learned several valuable lessons:
- 25% flaked oat/barley mashes require 5% rice hulls, not 2%
- keep rice hulls on hand
- when driving to the homebrew store to buy rice hulls, make sure the drain valves are closed, unless the collection vessel is larger than the mash volume
- keep on hand a liquid cleanup / absorption medium

Fortunately my previous "lessons learned" and some lucky timing saved me from a worse outcome. I always plan for an extra gallon of wort and save/freeze the extra low gravity sparge runnings for starters, usually about 1.035. I had plenty to get 5.5G in each fermenter for this double batch, and 2.5L for starters.
Cleanup was a mess, and I'm going to have to hose out the garage when it warms up.

I gave up alcohol for lent this year again. I didnt think it would be that hard, until i brewed this weekend. I wanted to get a pipeline going so i brewed a IPA. wow waiting for the boil and the smell is in the room was pretty tempting to open a bottle. well at least when Easter hits i will have a nice supply.

anybody else ever give up beer or alcohol over lent? this is my second year in a row doing it. i lose a little bit a weight during this time also.

Researching a bock recipe now. Never done a decoction mash before. Glad I will have the entire day off and no interruptions, this will be a loooooong brew session.

No....... I gave up lent.

But, if I was going to go for a lent/beer thing - this seems like it might be more my style:)
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/25/my-take-what-i-learned-from-my-46-day-beer-only-fast/

You should try that next year:mug:

I am not all that religious at all. i came from a Catholic family and went to catholic school my whole life. i just do the give up something for lent thing because i have been told to my whole life. plus its fun to see the reactions of friends when i say i am not coming down the the local American Legion every Wed night to discuss the world's problems and how to solve them.

I love beer. i really love beer. but giving up beer for 40 days minus last saturday when i went to the brewfest on ice in Dubuque just shows that i have some self control over.

i am not coming down the the local American Legion every Wed night to discuss the world's problems and how to solve them.

Damn! I was wondering what was going wrong with the world....... lack of "problem solving."
My dad always said there was nothing that could not be solved with a cooler of beer and a campfire :tank:

but giving up beer for 40 days minus last saturday when i went to the brewfest on ice in Dubuque just shows that i have some self control over.

How was that brewfest thingy? I haven't been to one yet....can't seem to pry the cash out of my hands for me and my DD(wifey) to go. Anything interesting happen at those? Or just a bunch of beer to sample?

it was my first. I was lucky to have a DD and a place to stay in Dubuque. If i go again next year, which i think i am planning on, i will not take my girlfriend. she doesnt like beer. she said she would try anything i gave her. that lasted 2 samples. for the couple hours we were there i saw alot of people from my hometown, bellevue, so i was busy chatting with them and drinking everything i could get in my glass. I tried my first sour beer, still not sure about that.

There was a lot of people there. The paper said 2000. 2000 people on a ice rink makes it a little crowded. never had to wait more than 2-3 mins for a beer once you were in line. They had a band playing and some Oktoberfest games there as well.

Honestly though everything that they had to sample is available at the Hy Vee. I stopped there afterwards to pick up a 6 pack before we headed to a buddys house for the night. everything except some special releases such as that sour is available there.

overall not a bad thing to do for a craft beer drinker to do on a saturday afternoon.

Well I guess I'm an Iowa brewer. Although I've lived in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, colorado, and Arizona since I got out of ISU. Still, I'll always be from Iowa.

How was that brewfest thingy? I haven't been to one yet....can't seem to pry the cash out of my hands for me and my DD(wifey) to go. Anything interesting happen at those? Or just a bunch of beer to sample?

I did not go to Dubuque, but have been to several. Generally just booths set up for each brewery that is present. They all are usually serving 3-8 or so different beers you can sample. You usually get a nice tasting glass. There is usually a "program" with all the breweries and their beers.

Sometimes there might be some "presentations" you can attend - but not necessarily.

It is usually pretty fun and a good way to try lots of different styles that you may not be familiar with, and may not want to go drop a bunch of money on just to check them out.

It is easy to get drunk if you don't watch it. It seems that breweries always want to bring "something special" - so if you start drinking a bunch of "Imperial This" and "Bourbon barrel that"...... even 2 ounce samples of 8-12% beer will add up in a hurry.

You will get a lot of average beers. You will get some horrible beers that make you wonder how a brewery is even in business. You will get some great ones too.

Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison is by far the best one I have been to. Attended about 3 times..... 1000's of beers from across the country. It is insane.

Hey boys, been busy out of my gord. I finally got a bunch done to the bar room, posted up a bunch over on the build thread. How the hell is everyone, your weekends?

Been building up my yeast since Saturday with a two step starter for a Bock. I have always underpitched my lagers and that's not going to happen this time. Doing my first double decoction on Thursday after work...and yes I have to work Friday morning. I like living on the edge. haha

Well, I think/hope spring is finally upon us, fellow Iowans. I'm getting ready to do a "Tropical Blonde" this weekend. Something low in ABV, but fruity. Using Kohatu and Simcoe along with a bret strain.

Man I hope you are right Gwapo! I'm so tired of being trapped inside. I drug the base cabs outside and sprayed them in the driveway two days ago, and got all of the baseboard de-nailed and ready to sand and spray I will definitely be doing that out in the drive if I can. Going home for spring break to help my folks out with a kitchen remodel.

Got some kegging and bottling to do this weekend...... got lots of kegs with 1-2 gallons that I want to empty into bottles to make room for some new brews I need to keg and move into the fridge.
Will probably harvest some yeast off of a citra pale ale tomorrow as well, and brew a couple batches of pale ale/ IPA on Sunday I think. Hopefully get some stock rotated and something into my soon-to-be empty fermenters.

I plan to brew a couple batches this weekend.

Thinking an English mild and maybe an IPA? Oh the possibilities . . .

Ha...... Yep, we are falling down on the job.

I have been busy as hell with work, coaching track, being sick, and trying to brew once in a while. I have only brewed a couple batches in the last 2-3 weeks. Both IPA's.

Hoping to brew a Dortmunder and an Alt this weekend if I am feeling better.

Back