Introducing oxygen to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branCHEs

Reaction score
So right now I have three 5 gal batches that are ready to bottle/keg.

IPA
Pale Ale
Double Oatmeal Stout

The Pale Ale and the IPA were fermented at my house, and the Oatmeal Stout did primary at a friends, I transferred it to secondary and then took it home. It has been in secondary for about 3 weeks now.

Originally I was going to bottle the Oatmeal Stout to see how it aged, but I'm a bit concerned. After I transferred it to secondary and brought it back to my house it did quite a bit of sloshing around. I have introduced the beer to a fair ammount of oxygen.

I have 2 kegs and enough bottles for 2 batches.

I'm wondering if it would be better if I kegged the Stout instead of one of Ales?

I do not know how long it takes the beer to give off favors once it has been introduced to oxygen but I'm wondering if I can possibly avoid this by kegging the Stout and drinking it fresh and instead of bottling and aging.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hermit said:
Did you let oxygen in? Was their an airlock in place? Sloshing doesn't introduce oxygen unless there is oxygen present.

I transferred it from the primary to a 5 gal glass carboy. The airlock was in place but the headspace in the carboy had oxygen in it - I had just transferred it to secondary then drove it home, that was when the sloshing happened.

It had the same oxygen it would have had if it hadn't been sloshed. You might be OK as the sloshing and transferring let to some CO2 being driven from suspension. When I transfer I put a few carbonation drops in my secondary to form co2 and drive oxygen out.

Put the stout in the bottles as planned. Good thing about yeast is that it also uses oxygen to ferment.

This will eat some of the oxygen and start creating CO2 to replace it. Chances are that not much damage has happened.

Sloshing with the airlock in place won't introduce oxygen. And even if it does, as mentioned, yeast uses O2, so will soon be replaced with CO2. Just let it settle itself, bottle and it will be good.

A little oxygen will be introduced seeing as it was moved from primary to secondary before moving it. Saying that not alot would be introduced and the yeast will fix it if any o2 was introduced

Hey, thanks for all the responses. I kegged my the IPA and the PA on Friday and bottled the Stout yesterday. I'll be sure to post on here and let you all know how Stout turned out.

Back