International Shipping & Ordering: Stories/Tips/Tricks/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Int'l shipping service do you prefer?

• BiaB

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Etre

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Y'all are crazy for spending that much on shipping

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Looking for some insight here: I was thinking about re-shipping the box to a buddy in new york and having him forward the box to me in California once it clears JFK customs. It doesnt look to be below freezing much over the next few weeks, but ive never shipping during the winter. Is it too risky to do it now? Would shipping by air to CA once it reached NY cause more headaches or be more expensive than its worth?

Looking for some insight here: I was thinking about re-shipping the box to a buddy in new york and having him forward the box to me in California once it clears JFK customs. It doesnt look to be below freezing much over the next few weeks, but ive never shipping during the winter. Is it too risky to do it now? Would shipping by air to CA once it reached NY cause more headaches or be more expensive than its worth?
I received a box here in San Diego from JFK last week and everything arrived pristine if that helps.

Air is expensive in my experience. If he ships on a Monday, it should make it to you by that Friday but he HAS to ship on a Monday. I'd do it, just sent my Secret Santa box and I am probably done until Spring now

I received a box here in San Diego from JFK last week and everything arrived pristine if that helps.

Air is expensive in my experience. If he ships on a Monday, it should make it to you by that Friday but he HAS to ship on a Monday. I'd do it, just sent my Secret Santa box and I am probably done until Spring now

Thanks y'all, thats reassuring and I appreciate it. If the box makes it back to Etre in one piece sometime this week I'll see if the return is still possible.

If you need a hand I can gladly receive and send off to you from here man. In NY as well.

Very generous offer, thank you Justin. I have a buddy in NYC who will be taking care of my proxying needs but I will keep you in mind should this happen again. Really appreciate the offer, thanks so much.

I posted a few days ago about my box hitting LAX for the second time in a row. Was worried it wouldn’t make it through again but somehow it passed through customs and should be in my hands by the end of the week. Not sure if it made a difference that the box was destined for the Bay Area this time instead of LA. I imagine it’s just luck of the draw. First time a box of mine destined for SF has hit LA though. Proceed with caution, west coast folk!

I posted a few days ago about my box hitting LAX for the second time in a row. Was worried it wouldn’t make it through again but somehow it passed through customs and should be in my hands by the end of the week. Not sure if it made a difference that the box was destined for the Bay Area this time instead of LA. I imagine it’s just luck of the draw. First time a box of mine destined for SF has hit LA though. Proceed with caution, west coast folk!
great to hear it passed through customs!

Cool cool. I'm the only vote for BIAB. Y'all must really be into wondering why your box is stuck in customs.

You must like having to send a dozen emails to get an update on if your box will be sent, and if you do get a box, getting to see the contents of said box without even having to open it.

You must like having to send a dozen emails to get an update on if your box will be sent, and if you do get a box, getting to see the contents of said box without even having to open it.

I've never once had to send a "where's my box?" email to BIAB since they always arrive in under two weeks after initiating payment.

Never stuck in customs, and never with broken or missing items.

I've never once had to send a "where's my box?" email to BIAB since they always arrive in under two weeks after initiating payment.

Never stuck in customs, and never with broken or missing items.

Why do you think it is more likely that a box from Etre would get stuck in customs compared to a box from BiaB?

Reading this thread.
That's just that there are far more Etre users here (and probably in general). Customs is entirely place and time dependent, I've only had one box have issues and it was years ago during the LAX crisis where even BIAB refused to ship to CA (in fact, as far as I know they still do).

BIAB refused to ship to CA (in fact, as far as I know they still do).
They'll ship to CA. At least have been within the last couple of years. Done both onsite and proxy, haven't had any issues.

For what it’s worth, Etre puts “beer” on their customs labels (at least in my experience) so if it hits LA you’re more than likely screwed. Not sure if BIAB is as forthcoming, but I imagine if Etre wasn’t as honest there would be fewer customs hold ups. Outside of that they really have no power dealing with US customs so I don’t see why using BIAB would make that much of a difference when it comes to hold ups.

They'll ship to CA. At least have been within the last couple of years. Done both onsite and proxy, haven't had any issues.
I figured that it's changed, but for a while there they refused to ship to the western US at all. I miss those days when the the 3F mega packs were a good deal...

For what it’s worth, Etre puts “beer” on their customs labels (at least in my experience) so if it hits LA you’re more than likely screwed. Not sure if BIAB is as forthcoming, but I imagine if Etre wasn’t as honest there would be fewer customs hold ups. Outside of that they really have no power dealing with US customs so I don’t see why using BIAB would make that much of a difference when it comes to hold ups.

Not always. I recieved this one yesterday.

20190418_071841.jpg

(Nailed that 25kg shipping tier lol)

Latest posts

Back