Interesting Article on Hop Flavor & Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whirlpool/flameout most familiar to me starts right at flameout and ends when the wort cools to 170F. The wort in everyone's brew kettle will cool off at different rates, based on ambient air temperature, humidity level and wort volume. My NEIPA 10 gallon batch took 45 minutes to cool from 212F to 170F.

Extremely interesting that hop flavor correlated negatively to ppm SO4. The less SO4 present, the more flavorful the hops.

Also that rapid wort cooling had a similar negative correlation. The bragging rights buzz seems to be strongly in favor of rapid wort cooling these days.

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

The whirlpool/flameout most familiar to me starts right at flameout and ends when the wort cools to 170F. The wort in everyone's brew kettle will cool off at different rates, based on ambient air temperature, humidity level and wort volume. My NEIPA 10 gallon batch took 45 minutes to cool from 212F to 170F.
Many people are STARTING the hop addition at 170 for more flavor and no added bitterness.
My question would be if you start at flameout (212) at let the temp drop naturally (very slow) for 90 minute will that add a ton of bitterness.

Many people are STARTING the hop addition at 170 for more flavor and no added bitterness.
My question would be if you start at flameout (212) at let the temp drop naturally (very slow) for 90 minute will that add a ton of bitterness.

This article sums it up better than I could....

"Whether on purpose or inadvertently, pro brewers were giving their flameout hops extended contact time with the wort. This allows the hops added at flameout a period to release their essential oils into the wort, while minimizing the vaporization of these essential oils. In essence, adding a kick of hop flavor and aroma while also adding what can best be described as a smooth bitterness. In short, whirlpool hopping can add significantly to the hop flavor and aroma of beer."

Interesting. So it looks like a long whirlpool followed by dry hopping makes the best tasting and smelling fruity/citrusy beers. I do currently put about 4-6 oz hops in the flameout/whirlpool and 6-8 oz hops in the dry hop for my NE IPAs. But my whirlpool is only about 30 mins. Wonder if I should increase that time. Maybe change the boil from 60 to 30 mins and increase the whirlpool from 30 to 60 mins. Might try that next beer.

Interesting. So it looks like a long whirlpool followed by dry hopping makes the best tasting and smelling fruity/citrusy beers. I do currently put about 4-6 oz hops in the flameout/whirlpool and 6-8 oz hops in the dry hop for my NE IPAs. But my whirlpool is only about 30 mins. Wonder if I should increase that time. Maybe change the boil from 60 to 30 mins and increase the whirlpool from 30 to 60 mins. Might try that next beer.

That's a good idea. I was worried about the extra time involved.

Extremely interesting that hop flavor correlated negatively to ppm SO4. The less SO4 present, the more flavorful the hops.

Also that rapid wort cooling had a similar negative correlation. The bragging rights buzz seems to be strongly in favor of rapid wort cooling these days.

Steady on - did you actually look at the SO4 graph? There's one weird outlier at 1200ppm SO4 which drags the whole line down, although it still had more hop taste than one of the ~0ppm SO4 beers. And to be honest if they think that it's OK to brew with water that has almost double the SO4 of Burton, then you wonder what else they're doing that's weird. In any case, the main point of sulphate was about improving the bitterness presentation rather than the "taste" of the hops (which really wasn't much of a consideration until the late 20th century).

The other things to note was that >10% of the beers were discarded for off-flavours, and several used different yeasts which is bound to have an effect on flavour. So I'd treat this experiment with a bit of wariness, they weren't finding big effects in any case.

Back