Instead of Crystal malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I forgot my crystal malts for the black IPA I was supposed to brew today I can either wait and get them this week or I was wondering about boiling down some of the first runnings and creating a kettle caramelization process what do you think?

Right now I have:
11# 2 row
1.25# Munich
12oz debittered black malt
4oz oats

No, I definitely would not go with kettle caramelization for an IPA.

You have a very malty grainbill there already.

I'd probably toast a pound or two of the base malt, and call it good.

Yooper said:
No, I definitely would not go with kettle caramelization for an IPA. You have a very malty grainbill there already. I'd probably toast a pound or two of the base malt, and call it good.

So you think I would be ok with no crystal malt? I can't toast anything because it was all combined in one bag at the brew store.

So you think I would be ok with no crystal malt? I can't toast anything because it was all combined in one bag at the brew store.

Sure. But I have a lot of IPA recipes that don't use crystal malt. Usually, they are good in a black IPA to help balance a bit of the roastiness, but if you don't have any you just don't have any.

Oh good to know I was worried about not having enough malt backbone. I wouldn't think the debittered black would provide that much roastyness. I could toast the oats since I'm just using instant Quaker oats - you think that would help?

I would toast the oats. Im a fan of home toasting base malts in ipa's myself also. Its not really a whole lot of oats,Ive used more in my small batches. Its your call to wait on the crystal malts, for a black Ipa personally I like to add the crystal malts,yet you should still get a good beer otherwise and you will get more of the munich character solely which may be good enough. With or without they are still going to be different beers depending on how much crystal malts you were going to use. In that recipe though I would add more oats to get more character in that black ipa if not using the crystal malts- thats just my preference also though . Youll get some nice creamy head retention too. Ive never found Ive over oated a dark ale before.Although the more you use it could make some haze to it probably. Ive still had them clear up pretty brilliantly though without additives.

I think all just up the oats to .5 pounds and toast them. How long and how hot to I get the oven ?

Back