Inkbird Controller Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen on this forum several other posts where problems were had with Inkbird temperature controllers. I have three Inkbird ITC-310T-Bs and they all have the same issue. As you can see in the attached photo the "COOLING" socket is energized even though the controller is asking for heat (the "HEATING" socket is also energized). This isn't always the case, it just seems to randomly happen. If I reset the settings sometimes it will go back to working properly and other times it won't. Has anyone else experienced issues like this with this controller? Were you able to fix it? Does anyone have a solution for this? It's messing with my beer!

IMG_4219A.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting timing. I just replaced an ITC 308 from my home made Glycol Chiller after it continued to run the A/C into an igloo. Thankfully the A/C unit & my system as a whole seems to be operating okay, it did worry me that the controller had just destroyed the entire build.

Interesting timing. I just replaced an ITC 308 from my home made Glycol Chiller after it continued to run the A/C into an igloo. Thankfully the A/C unit & my system as a whole seems to be operating okay, it did worry me that the controller had just destroyed the entire build.

It probably continued to run because the cold socket was always energized! Just like all 3 of mine. A member of my homebrew club also reported the same issue. This needs to be fixed.

It probably continued to run because the cold socket was always energized! Just like all 3 of mine. A member of my homebrew club also reported the same issue. This needs to be fixed.
Oh, it was definitely energized. When I found it the A/C was still on and chilling the glycol that was reading 21F on my Inkbird that was set to 35F, while illustrating that the heat socket should've actually been running. It does have me concerned, especially since I have a Keezer and another ferm chamber that are being controlled by 308's.

Oh, it was definitely energized. When I found it the A/C was still on and chilling the glycol that was reading 21F on my Inkbird that was set to 35F, while illustrating that the heat socket should've actually been running. It does have me concerned, especially since I have a Keezer and another ferm chamber that are being controlled by 308's.

I spent the day searching for a decent replacement but couldn't find anything that had multiple programable temperature phases like the ITC-310T-B. I need something to do automatic step temps for my lagers while I'm out of town.

Disclaimer: I don't own an Inkbird.
I have seen quite a few of their temp controllers in use, but never looked inside one.

I do own a couple original STC-1000s. From what I've read, Inkbird temp controllers are based on a modified design of the STC-1000.
One of the often documented flaws of the STC-1000 are the miniature relays that can "stick," contacts remaining fused (like spot-welded) in the ON-position. This issue is usually exacerbated when switching higher load/high current applications, even when well within the relay's specs. Now the inrush current can be much higher at the very moment the contacts close, which may exacerbate the fusing, or damage to the contacts.

This may very well not be the case here with these Inbird units, as fused relay contacts rarely open up again by themselves, but if they do, they may remain erratic in future operation.

If these Inkbird units reset after resetting it may well be a logic/control issue, instead. But definitely something that needs to be resolved to remain safe during operation.

Has any of you contacted Inkbird yet, about this issue?

One of our sponsors is an Inkbird affiliate, always having some sort of promotion or give-away in our sponsor showcase. Reach out to him (in a private convo, please) and see what he can do.

Has any of you contacted Inkbird yet, about this issue?

One of our sponsors is an Inkbird affiliate, always having some sort of promotion or give-away in our sponsor showcase. Reach out to him (in a private convo, please) and see what he can do.

I sent their tech support an email earlier today. Still waiting to hear back from them. Thanks for the info.

Mine would constantly let the freezer get too hot, a brand new freezer, alarm kept going off... :(

You got a heater in that freezer? If so, how much wattage and where is your probe located?
Which alarm goes off?

No heater but I think I think I found one issue. The Inkbird is rated at 10A and my freezer is 20A. Anyone know of a 20A temp controller?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.42.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.42.10 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Back