Initial Original Gravity is too high and I added yeast. What should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltedSeabass

Reaction score
Hi all, so I think I now understand the hydrometer better the morning after I already added yeast to my first batch.

I'm using Fleischmann’s active dry yeast, which has a cap ABV I've read of 12%. However my original gravity was over 1.140. If the gravity after fermentation ends on the average of 1.000, I calculate I’ll have an alcohol content of 18.375% ABV. That’s crazy high.

I want my drink to be sweet but not that alcoholic. However if you think the yeast will stop before then can it potentially end on a final gravity higher than 1 and be less than 18% ABV. Or should I just in case dilute now with water during what I'm assuming is currently fermenting now that I'm at work and proceed with adding some water? Can adding water be bad for the yeast if it's mid fermentation now?

As Bachman Turner Overdrive would say, "Let It Ride". See what happens. If it's too much for you, you can add volume to it afterwards to dilute it down. It won't hurt anything if you boil the water first.

What are you making?

As Bachman Turner Overdrive would say, "Let It Ride". See what happens. If it's too much for you, you can add volume to it afterwards to dilute it down. It won't hurt anything if you boil the water first.

What are you making?
I've made two 1-gallon batches

1-gallon batch #1 - Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast, 3.33 lbs Local Hive Northeast Raw & Unfiltered Honey, Poland Spring Water, Half a cup or Black Tea, 33 Sun-Maid Raisins, Half an orange, rind, peel and all diced up

1-gallon batch #2 - Same thing but with a cinnamon stick.

I like a sweet wine and Carolls, but maybe with the extra .33lbs of honey it'll be too sweet.

Thoughts?

Hi all, so I think I now understand the hydrometer better the morning after I already added yeast to my first batch.

I'm using Fleischmann’s active dry yeast, which has a cap ABV I've read of 12%. However my original gravity was over 1.140. If the gravity after fermentation ends on the average of 1.000, I calculate I’ll have an alcohol content of 18.375% ABV. That’s crazy high.

I want my drink to be sweet but not that alcoholic. However if you think the yeast will stop before then can it potentially end on a final gravity higher than 1 and be less than 18% ABV. Or should I just in case dilute now with water during what I'm assuming is currently fermenting now that I'm at work and proceed with adding some water? Can adding water be bad for the yeast if it's mid fermentation now?
If the yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 12% it’ll ferment to around that point, it won’t ferment all the way down to 1.000 for an abv of 18%+ so if you’re looking for a sweet finish I think you’ll be just fine

You are likely miss reading your specific gravity. You should test the hydrometer in distilled water and it should read 1.0000. Your end gravity will be much higher. It will not go to 1.000 after fermentation. As stated above, it might reach 12% (but not likely IMHO.) Also, since you are using Honey, you could calculate you starting gravity if you know the amount of honey and how much water you put in. Honey is from about 36-42 PP, ( one pound will raise the gravity in one gallon size by 36-42 gravity points)

If you started at 1.140, you final SG will likely be 1.049 or so to have a 12% abv. It should be fairly sweet.

1049 will be too sweet. I'd shoot for 1010 to 1020. Anything above that gets a bit cloying. If you need a little help getting it down, add another yeast. Try 71b yeast. It has a 14% tolerance, or d47 with a tolerance of 15%.

I would Dilute. Even at 15% abv it will still be 1.040. IMHO, anything above 7% will have fusil off flavors. I would have shot for 5%.

The key to the final FG (and abv) is the starting OG. Dilute until you get to the correct OG, add the yeast with the desired end abv and use it.

There are lots of calculators (apps and on the web) to figure all that out.

Since you have started fermentation, it may be difficult to fix.

Back calculate the OG that will give you 12% alcohol at a desired FG and dilute to get there. With a FG of 1.018 (good spot to shoot for), you should dilute OG to about 1.110. If you have 140pts of sugar (1.140 in 1 gal) and you want a OG of 1.110, you need 1.27 gallons (110 * 1.27 = 140 pts) . Add a quart/liter of water and you should be in the ball park.

I would Dilute. Even at 15% abv it will still be 1.040. IMHO, anything above 7% will have fusil off flavors. I would have shot for 5%.
Aging will take care of that, impatience won't though haha. And 5% is just subjective.
There are lots of calculators (apps and on the web) to figure all that out.
GotMead is a great resource for that.
Since you have started fermentation, it may be difficult to fix.
It shouldn't be too bad, so long as everything going in is as sterile as possible. It's easy to adjust gravities so long as you know your calculations. Total gravity points=Gallons×the last two digits of your gravity reading.
Easy as that. So let's say you finish at 1049, as oakbarn has estimated. And since the OP hasn't specified a target, we'll assume 1010, one I suggested earlier. Since the OP is using one gallon batches, the calculations are a lot easier.
So, 49÷10=4.9 gallons, adding 3.9. Doesn't seem reasonable. And neither does 49÷20=2.45 gallons, adding 1.45 (my other suggestion). I would get it down to the range of 1030-1040 if your going to dilute, unless you don't mind the extra volume and the added oxygen that this water will bring. I would make a very weak mead to blend instead, so that it is o2 free, and sanitary.

To keep it sweet either you rise the mash temp to about 80ºC (to denaturet the enzymes and keep the sugars long) or you can use maltodextrin that is not palatable to some yeasts and will remain as residual sweetness. If you use simple sugar or honey, they will be eaten by the yeast. I made a 0.5%ABV beer with these two techniques and managed to make a 1024-1020 fermentation that stopped naturally leaving high contents of sweetness coming from the maltodextrin. (I used Safale S-33)

Back