Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In today's episode of "Is it infected"? Double IPA. It went 10 days in the primary and was fine. I put it in the secondary and dry hopped 5 days ago. Went to bottle and had this. Tastes normal, but still a little worried. Thoughts?
20180415_172924.jpg

If it was in the primary I'd say yeast rafts. But secondary? How much of the trub got transferred? Those clumps look like they are all through the beer. I would cold crash it if you have the capability and see if they drop to the bottom.

If it was in the primary I'd say yeast rafts. But secondary? How much of the trub got transferred? Those clumps look like they are all through the beer. I would cold crash it if you have the capability and see if they drop to the bottom.

More of the trub got transferred than should have. That was my current plan--cold crash and hope it sinks.

IMO, lots of gunk but no infection.

Depending on how much hops is going into the dry hop, I usually do it in the primary. If a huge amount or something else will be added, I might secondary. - rarely -

IMO, lots of gunk but no infection.

Depending on how much hops is going into the dry hop, I usually do it in the primary. If a huge amount or something else will be added, I might secondary. - rarely -

Thanks. This was a small batch (2 gallon) where almost everything was an experiment, and almost everything has gone wrong. I've never dry hopped, or done an IPA for that matter. Even with cold crashing, I am not optimistic about this batch.

Maybe I should just stick with stouts

I would suggest letting it sit for another day or two, then cold crash if possible. Then I would rack a 3rd time, preferably into a keg or bottle. If force carbing, do so at this point. Else, add preferred carbing sugar and patiently wait to enjoy.

At time of enjoying: if desired level of joy is not achieved, reflect on what you will do next time to improve.

Because I was following a recipe that said to dry hop in a secondary

A recipe is just someone's record of what they did. That person used a secondary because they adapted their recipe from someone else who used a secondary, probably because someone told them to based on bad information. Secondaries are used when you add fruit so your do have another, secondary, fermentation. You don't need one for most beers and dry hopping in the primary works fine.

Don't give up on dry hopping. Do it in the primary, opening it just enough to get the hops in. That way you won't lose all the CO2 that is helping protect your beer from infections.

Back