Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jh4rtm4n

Reaction score

Is this floating on top a beginning of an infection? It's been in primary for 2 weeks. I was about to rack to secondary.

Northern brewer - caribou slobber - extract brew

It almost looks like the Krausen, which doesn't have me concerned. But wanted the opinion of more knowledgeable brewers.

Kind of hard for me to tell. Looks kind of like non coagulated break material floating on the top. My advice, forget secondary. Leave it there and wait another week. Should be pretty obvious if it's infected by then. Waxy bubbles or rafts forming on the surface kind of thing. Check out the infected beers thread lots of pictures to help gauge it.

Starting abother brew today, need the larger fermenter for head space. Only reason I'm racking to secondary. I searched through the infection thread awhile, but wasn't sure if it was. It's had the "floaties" on top for at least 3 days, they don't appear to be "growing".

Back