Infection of Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekknoschtev

Reaction score
I'm going to try NOT making this like every other infection thread I've read, because it seems to get asked quite often.

Long story short: Brewed October 23th and it sat in primary for 3 weeks. About a week before secondary, I sliced and scraped the vanilla beans and soaked them in 80 proof vodka. Before secondary, the beer smelled exquisite. After sitting on vanilla beans in secondary it smelled great with a nice sweet vanilla aroma, but I put off bottling it a few days because I was waiting for my kegging supplies to arrive. Sometime between this past Thursday and Friday, my beer developed the white frosty stringy layer. I'm not debating whether or not this was an infection, because even if it was the consensus seems to be that it should still be bottled/kegged and tried before dumping it.

At any rate, the smell in secondary was no longer that of sweet vanilla, but it wasn't quite "bad" per se. I figured what the heck, I'll give it a go. My supplies arrived today and I kegged it. While kegging, it smelled ALMOST how it was supposed to, but after force carbonating it and dispensing a small amount, it definitely has a bite of sorts to it (perhaps this is the "sour" taste I've read about).

At any rate, here are my questions:

1. Because the signs of infection appeared seemingly overnight, if I had kegged or bottled a day prior, would I have been fine? Or, is this a case of the symptom being indicative of something else that had been in progress for longer?

2. Assuming as the beer gets colder (seems to hide bad/strong flavors for me at least), it becomes drinkable, is there any reason not to drink it? I'm thinking more along the lines of medically, would it be dangerous to do so? I'm not in a hurry to get the keg cleaned out, because I still have three empty ones I have to fill before it becomes a burden so I plan on giving it some time (as I've read here).

Theories about what may have happened:
1. The morning after we put the beer into primary, I woke up to a destroyed airlock on the other side of my brew closet. This is no small feat. Unfortunately, as with everything, rushing is bad, and i was in a rush to get to work so I didn't have time to clean everything up so I grabbed a new rubber stopper and air lock, put some water in and ran off to work.

I came home after work, to another case of the air lock on the ground. I knew in the morning that I needed to put a blow off tube on, but I didn't have time. I put the blow off tube on and all was well.

2. Poor sanitizing procedures for the wine thief and hydrometer I used to check the gravity. I'm not sure if this is it, but I know I sanitized it more by dipping/rinsing where as for brewing everything kind of soaks in a bucket of sanitizing water. For what its worth, my home brew shop calls the stuff "Solo" which I believe is One Step - at least it looks like the One Step I used a few years ago. Definitely going to be fixing this for my next brew :)

I'd guess that you picked something up transferring to secondary or something during the blowoff you experienced. The infection probably took awhile to reproduce and finally manifest itself.

Personally, I wouldn't keg a sour beer. Too many gaskets, nooks and crannies, plastic involved in a kegging setup for my to have enough confidence that I could completely get rid of the infection in the system.

Oh yeah, make sure you are using an actual sanitizer. The stuff you've been using may actually be more like a PBW type of product which cleans, but isn't meant to sanitize.

Just be sure you THOROUGHLY clean the keg when it's finished, replace all your rubber bits too (a good $5 investment in this case) Nothing in your beer should hurt you, thats the reason for the origin of beer, safe drinking. Some people love a sour beer, my SWMBO for instance. Personally I can't stand it, but if its only mild, keep it cold and drink it quick. you might also think about replacing your transfer hoses just in case.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still bummed about "ruining" the porter, especially since I was looking more and more forward to it, however, after having my brother and a few of his friends try it they agree on two things. 1, its not porter and 2, its still drinkable. The slightly sour flavor isn't my taste, but if others like it and will drink it, I'm not dumping it.

I'll definitely be getting the O-ring kit from the local shop - $5 isn't worth the risk of causing problems with more beer. I also picked up some StarSan today, which should last me for a while. I'm not sure if the stuff I originally used was more like PBW or not, but I know StarSan is StarSan for sure so I'm good to go there :)

Back