infected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medicaldawg

Reaction score
Guys i have a batch of Eds hard apple cider. Its at the three month mark. Ive racked off the yeast about a month ago. I want to bulk age it so as to maintain the same taste through out the batch. I visually checked it today i have a white film developing on top. From what i understand this is most likely an infection. Would some one please inform me if this in fact an infection and if so how to fix it.

pictures would be nice, it may just be floating yeast, or very small bubbles.

its prolly not yeast ive racked all that off. I have an air lock on top which is not bubling so???????????????

Just because you racked off the bulk of the yeast cake, doesn't mean you got rid of all of it. Presence of yeast also does not mean you will have air lock activity (which is a measure absolutely nothing anyway), snap a pic of it and post it up and we can give you a better idea of what's going on.

Even though you racked off the yeast from the primary, doesn't mean that all the yeast is no longer in it. There will still be yeast in suspension in the cider, also you may have disturbed the yeast cake by moving the carboy or touching it with the racking cane. Either way, the yeast will not harm anything.
You also can't rely on airlock activity for anything, its only a valve to release excessive pressure. Even changes in temperature will cause it to bubble or not bubble.
What does this film look like? Is it and opaque-white? or is it a clear white? Does it cover the whole top of the cider? Or is it in groups?
A good picture would be a good idea if possible. If I were to guess, I would say it's probably fine.

edit: the Gremlyns beat me to it

Even though you racked off the yeast from the primary, doesn't mean that all the yeast is no longer in it. There will still be yeast in suspension in the cider, also you may have disturbed the yeast cake by moving the carboy or touching it with the racking cane. Either way, the yeast will not harm anything.
You also can't rely on airlock activity for anything, its only a valve to release excessive pressure. Even changes in temperature will cause it to bubble or not bubble.
What does this film look like? Is it and opaque-white? or is it a clear white? Does it cover the whole top of the cider? Or is it in groups?
A good picture would be a good idea if possible. If I were to guess, I would say it's probably fine.

edit: the Gremlyns beat me to it

yes its in groups which is what concerned me. Will post a pic when my ipod gets home in about an hour. dont ask!!!

if you look very closely, does it look like very small bubbles? Very small bubbles will group together and look like clumps of white film. Bubbles are normal, especially after it has been disturbed.

yes its in groups which is what concerned me. Will post a pic when my ipod gets home in about an hour. dont ask!!!

If I remember I will snap a pic of the cider I have had in my carboy for a few months. Lots of yeastie clumps on the surface.

if you look very closely, does it look like very small bubbles? Very small bubbles will group together and look like clumps of white film. Bubbles are normal, especially after it has been disturbed.

well its been racked for over a month now but i looked really close and it looks to be a white film.

I think I would still not be worried too much about it. A picture would still be better than a description though. How does it smell? are you able to scoop (sanitary) one of those clumps of white film out for a close inspection/taste? Maybe take a wine thief and try to suck it up for a closer look? Sometimes looking though a glass/plastic carboy and distort images.

Back