Infected Beer in Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing for around 8 years and finally had my first infected batch. My question here is what to do with my conical fermenter that the infected beer is currently sitting in. I can address everything else rather simply. My concern is what about the valves. There are two valves on this conical that are rather pricey. I am not 100% sure, but isn't there a piece of plastic in the simple ball valves? Would anyone be concerned about that? Not sure if it matters but the conical is a Stout conical with all of their fittings. I have the simple ball valves (not the 3 piece).

Someone recommended brewing a simple batch and seeing if it gets infected as well. I'd rather not waste a day if I can just address the issue. I'd rather replace the values than do that.

I've been brewing for around 8 years and finally had my first infected batch. My question here is what to do with my conical fermenter that the infected beer is currently sitting in. I can address everything else rather simply. My concern is what about the valves. There are two valves on this conical that are rather pricey. I am not 100% sure, but isn't there a piece of plastic in the simple ball valves? Would anyone be concerned about that? Not sure if it matters but the conical is a Stout conical with all of their fittings. I have the simple ball valves (not the 3 piece).

Someone recommended brewing a simple batch and seeing if it gets infected as well. I'd rather not waste a day if I can just address the issue. I'd rather replace the values than do that.
take the valves apart and sanitize them.. this includes the white nylon piece in the valve... those stout valves are supposed to be taken apart and sanitized between each brew they are easier to disassemble and clean than the flashy 3 piece type.(I do this with my stouts valves from my stout conical it takes about a minute to clean and reassemble once you know how). If you are really concerned just boil the parts.

FYI the end of the ball vale with the flats to attach a wrench are meant to unscrew from the body and the seal and ball will pop right out to clean inside the body. most one piece designed ball valves come apart like this for cleaning as there is a dead space behind the ball you cant otherwise get to effectively. Consider yourself VERY lucky its taken 8 years if youve never cleaned these.

I eventually replaced my conical valves with butterfly valves which avoided all this.

Last edited:
If you have an instapot you can put all your parts in there and "autoclave" them for 10 minutes. Some plastic and rubber handle parts on cheaper valves may need to be left out.

The Infection is likely due to nasties sitting in the dead space behind the ball in the valve housing.. When the OP disassembles the valve he will likely know right away. I doubt anything more than a proper cleaning and starsan is honestly needed.

Latest posts

Back