Incomplete fermetation = hot alcohol taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottnme

Reaction score
Is it correct that incomplete fermentation could lead to a hot alcohol taste?

I have a dry irish stout that I tested last night after 10 days in the primary that tasted hot and alcoholy. Though it wasn't overly harsh it was noticeable I and I'm concewrned with how letting it go would affect this. It started it 1.055 and is now at 1.010 with some minimal activity being shown in the airlock. I was hoping to transfer in order to use that carboy for my next batch but I'm thinking that it might not be done and that I should probably leave it do its thing rather than transfer to a secondary at this point.

Thoughts? How low can one let a dry stout go?

Thanks.

What temp did it ferment at? I think that is your more likely culprit. 1.010 sounds like it is done for a stout, but check the hydro again in a day or two. And don't worry about leaving it on the yeast for several weeks. It won't hurt anything, and will let the yeast finish up.

Incomplete fermentation would mean there is less alcohol and more sugars still left, so I don't think it would equal a hot alcohol taste.

I would consider a drop from 1.055 to 1.010 a pretty complete fermentation. How much lower were you wanting/expecting it to go? If the fermentation were truly "incomplete" the FG would be high, meaning more sugar and less alcohol thus no "hot alcohol taste".

Regardless I bet the beer will probably taste a lot better once it ages/is carbonated/is chilled.

If you want to get another batch in the primary I would go ahead and rack this one to your secondary. It shouldn't be a problem.

Temp was pretty constant at 66F. I wasn't so much hoping for a low FG as to ask for opinions on what was observed thus far. I also think that being at 1.010 it is mostly done but thought another opinion wouldn't hurt. I will checl tomorow and most likely will transfer.

...of course maybe I'm still paraniod since this is only my second all grain batch.

Yes, give it time to age some. 'Bigger' beers like stouts take a little more time to mature and Im sure the hotness will subside with age. I dont think a lack of fermentation is why its hot, its just young. :)
(The younger ones tend to be a little hotter)
The beers that is... ;)
-Me

PS - I just reread that this is a DRY stout. Im not surprised its a little hotter than a normal beer at this age. (No worries)

Back