Proper time and temp in primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhaa

Reaction score
I'm brewing from a American Light kit with dry yeast. I'm not crazy how it tastes. Doesn't have much flavor. I followed the instructions. Two things I'm a little fuzzy on. How long after the fermentation is complete(mine took about 5 days), do I let it sit in the conical fermenter? I don't transfer because I just dump the trub a few days after fermentation is complete. The instructions claimed aprox 1 week for ferm and two weeks for secondary ferm/conditioning.
Also, my temps were around 72-74 degrees. Is this too high? How would this affect taste?

Extract or all grain? A link to the kit you used or the recipe of it might help focus replies more. Otherwise we will probably touch on all the various reasons why something might not taste good to you.

Any previous experience brewing beers that you did like?

Well, unless you have guidance to the contrary why not just follow the kit instructions.
That way if it isn't up to your standards (taste) you know it isn't because of a change you made.
If you do like it, then you don't need to change anything.

As for time in the fermenter, most of my brews are my own creation. Some better than others.
I usually transfer directly into a keg two to three weeks after fermentation slows to imperceptible.
I then carbonate (natural) and age in the keg for 4 weeks to 3 months, depending on the brew (and my schedule).

Well, unless you have guidance to the contrary why not just follow the kit instructions.
That way if it isn't up to your standards (taste) you know it isn't because of a change you made.
If you do like it, then you don't need to change anything.
I know what you mean. I'm letting my own experience with the conical conflict with instructions, but I still followed them. The instructions appear to say that once you reach FG, transfer to a secondary ferm. Mine was done fermenting at around 5 days. At around 7 days, I dumped the trub, and kept the beer in there for another two weeks before I kegged. This was an extract kit.
I attached the recipe for the kit.

Attachments

• 1018_americanlight_recipe.pdf
    348.6 KB · Views: 0
That kit isn’t gonna have much flavor no matter what you do. It’s basically like brewing a Bud Light.
That's kinda what I was shooting for. An American light. This just tastes more like a diluted pale ale. A lot of my extract brews taste similar.
I have a nice size kegerator now so I'll try my hand at lagering.

Latest posts

Back