Importance of temperature control on brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
I am rather new to brewing. I've read a lot of posts (basically every one) with people talking about controlling the temperature and mostly brewing in the high 60's with various different strains of ale yeasts.

So far I have 3 brews that have gotten to the bottle and 2 more fermenting (one done and aging, one finishing primary).

Just how important is temperature control, or is this very much a yeast strain specific thing?

My basement in the heat of the summer typically runs to about 72-73F (or what the temp on my fermenting bucket says, sitting on the bare concrete). In the winter it is probably more like 65F or a couple cooler (I'll find out this winter, air temp is 66-67F in the basement in the winter).

My very first batch was a pale ale that was okay at first, but the last few bottles taste a little off (it was decent after 2 weeks of aging, seemed to peak at about 5 weeks and a couple of bottles have tasted off now that it is about 2 months since bottling). I did a lot of things wrong with the first brew.

My second brew has been tasting awesome. Brew kit like the first, Red ale that I dry hopped and added chicory to the secondary and gave it a few extra days in primary and secondary.

My Third brew I came up with the recipe. Extract, Caramel Oak Porter. Best brew yet and better than most porters I have ever had (IMHO) and I got great reviews at my local brew club on it (people liked the Chicory Red and loved the Porter).

All three were fermented at 72-73F as that was the temp in the basement. 2 of the 3 seem to have turned out great. The porter had some whicked high Krausen looking in the bucket (it could have maybe been because I used leaf instead of pellet though and didn't strain out all of the hops when dumping to primary?)

The first two used Nottingham, the Porter used Windsor. I currently have two fermenting/aging. The first is an attempt at butter beer (per my wife's request, don't ask) that used Windsor and Middle English Honey Brown ale that used BRY-97 American West Coast Ale.

The butterbeer started at 72-73, but the weather has cooled the last few days and both the butterbeer has been finishing and the Honey Brown started at more like 68F.

Is temperature something I am going to have to control a lot more finely for most of my brewing? Or is it more typically something you'll experience big differences with when you are talking 10+F differences?

At some point I want to either rig my current minifridge so I can temp control batches and/or get a second mini-fridge to do this with (or do it with two!).

Is there a difference between the dry and liquid yeast strains for temperature tolerance and/or impacts on flavor/attenuation/flocculance?

keeping the fermentation within the yeast's range is important and each yeast has it's own range

remember that the fermentation itself is generating heat, so it's important to keep internal temps under control, at least during initial fermentation. after it slows a little, you can let the temp rise some, which is actually good for the beer, while still keeping it in range.

there are differences in all strains of yeast, dry or liquid, for tolerance and flavor/attenuation/flocculence. check manufacturers sites for that info for any particular strain

Temperature control is where I saw my biggest improvement in my brews. It plays a big role in the final flavor of the beer. You can control the amount of esters by controlling your temps, which means you can then duplicate your beer consistently. I did a barleywine and ended up with some extra wort, decided to do a second vessel (non temperature controlled). The result was two completely different tasting beers, the only difference being temperature. Of course the controlled beer was much better than the non controlled.

+1 on the need for good temp control (especially at time of pitching and for the first 4-5 days). Additional attention to it will make your good beers even better.

In your situation, you have some options depending on if you want to tend it each day (swamp cooler and/or ice bottles in a tub of water) or set & forget (freezer/fridge with STC-1000).

If fermenting above 68*F, I'd avoid Nottingham and use US-05 instead. Notty is a really nice cool-temp ale yeast (think upper 50's), but it's notorious for kicking off some bad off flavors above 68*F and they get worse the warmer it gets/

The above answers +100%.

But as a newbie it is unnecessary to invest in a fridge-type temperature control this early on (unless, of course, you want to). There are a number of other ways that people maintain the desired temperatures using water baths, evaporation and yeast selection. These can be used as a substitute until you are far enough into the hobby that you are certain that you'll continue - and also keep things rolling if your budget is limited.

I am fortunate enough to have a basement that holds perfect ale-temps for 2/3rds of the year (16-18C; no idea what that is in F), so I've not needed it for most brews. Ironically, my main use for temperature control has been heating saisons!

Bryan

Your first responsibility as a brewer is creating an environment for your yeast to be happy in. Each strain has their own tolerances and will behave differently in and outside those tolerances. BigFloyd hit it on the head with Notty. If you get outside its temperature range, you're going to have some bad esters. For me, WLP001 seems to be a little more forgiving on the upper ends of its tolerance. Then you have some strains like the Belgian Saison strains that do great at 80+ degrees.

The one thing you absolutely want to stay away from is drastic fluctuations. That will cause the yeast to stall and create a stuck fermentation. You can definitely make beer without controlling your temps, but you'll see a great increase in quality and consistency with temp control. If you don't want to spend the money, then plan on making Belgian beers in the summer, and other ales in the winter.

Keep the fermenter off the concrete in the winter. It might get a little to cool otherwise.

Your first responsibility as a brewer is creating an environment for your yeast to be happy in.

that is it.

the yeast do the work, we are merely the facilitators. still... would be nice if the little effers helped with the cleanup once in awhile.

Temperature IS important, but not everyone has the ability to have a consistent 65 degrees. Personally, my "operation" (if it can even be called that ;)) is a swamp cooler - a 20 gallon drum filled with ice-water. From what I've experienced and read, the higher temperatures will produce a sweeter tasting beer. Depending on the style you're brewing, this might not be a problem at all. I would LOVE to ferment all my beers between 62 and 68 degrees, but realistically, all my beers ferment at 72 degrees. The rule of thumb for me is to keep it below 75.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Especially about keeping it off the concrete. I have plenty of foam board laying around, so I can just tuck some under it.

Generally my basement doesn't see big temperature fluxes, especially where I store the carboys. Maybe +/-2F in a day. The swing from being in the 90s outside down to high 60s has resulted in my basement temperature going from 75F to 70F over the course of a week.

Also good to know on Nottingham. That might be part of where the first batch went wrong. It was the hottest then, maybe around 73-74 possibly for where the fermenter was (a week straight of 90+F outside), the other batches have been much more in line with 71-72 and right now (I asked my wife to check) the fermenters are sitting at 69F on the concrete.

Temperature IS important, but not everyone has the ability to have a consistent 65 degrees. Personally, my "operation" (if it can even be called that ;)) is a swamp cooler - a 20 gallon drum filled with ice-water. From what I've experienced and read, the higher temperatures will produce a sweeter tasting beer. Depending on the style you're brewing, this might not be a problem at all. I would LOVE to ferment all my beers between 62 and 68 degrees, but realistically, all my beers ferment at 72 degrees. The rule of thumb for me is to keep it below 75.

No, warmer temperatures won't produce a sweeter tasting beer. For most beers, a warmer temperature will produce "fruity" flavors like banana or bubblegum, but some yeast strains (like nottingham) just get weird tasting and sort of foul.

I don't like estery flavors in most beers that should be "clean" like IPA or pale ale, but if you like the results then you should absolutely keep doing what works for you.

I like most American ale yeast strains fermented at 63-66 degrees, while English strains that are fruity I like at 66-68 degrees. S04 is a weird one- it's English but it tastes pretty awful above 65 degrees so I rarely use it, but when I do I keep it at 62 degrees.

I don't like estery flavors in most beers that should be "clean" like American IPA or American pale ale, but if you like the results then you should absolutely keep doing what works for you.

Fixed it for you. Fruity esters are normal & usually desired in the English predecessors to these styles.

Bryan

Quote: "No, warmer temperatures won't produce a sweeter tasting beer. For most beers, a warmer temperature will produce "fruity" flavors like banana or bubblegum, but some yeast strains (like nottingham) just get weird tasting and sort of foul."

Thanks for the correction. The last couple of beers I've brewed use cascade or citra hops, so I must have confused "sweet" for "fruity."

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm currently brewing a Coffee English Brown Ale with S-04 at 72 degrees. Is all lost for me?

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm currently brewing a Coffee English Brown Ale with S-04 at 72 degrees. Is all lost for me?

No, of course not! If you like those "estery" flavors then it will be fine.

I don't, not in any beers but English ales where the esters are part of the flavor profile. S04 just doesn't taste good to me above 64 degrees, but others may love it!

Yooper said:
No, of course not! If you like those "estery" flavors then it will be fine.

I don't, not in any beers but English ales where the esters are part of the flavor profile. S04 just doesn't taste good to me above 64 degrees, but others may love it!

I agree, I can't stand "estery" flavors but as some posters have stated different yeasts have some different temps. When I was first starting out, I was very selective of my summer beers due to temp.

Everyone has different taste too!

No, warmer temperatures won't produce a sweeter tasting beer. For most beers, a warmer temperature will produce "fruity" flavors like banana or bubblegum, but some yeast strains (like nottingham) just get weird tasting and sort of foul.

Interesting. I just got the whole cooling thing figured out on my last couple of batches. Before that, I was just fermenting in a basement bathroom that fluctuated between 60-70 when the AC was running all summer.

I made a batch of Edwort's Pale ale, and the bucket temp got up to about 75 during the most active fermentation. It's been in the bottle for about 3 weeks, and just tastes weird. I was hoping it was 'green', but I'm starting to think the temp killed it.

Good news is, by setting up a rubber-maid tub with a frozen 96 oz bottle of water in it, I've been able to keep the current batch of beer I have fermenting with Nottingham (robust porter) at a pretty steady 58-62 degrees. Hopefully, it turns out much better.

It does indeed take some real effort to keep an ale fermentation at the temp where it belongs, especially here in Texas.

Considering all of the time, energy and money we have spent pursuing this fine hobby, how does it not make sense to put forth the extra effort needed to make the most important phase of the whole process work as it should?

I've tasted a few ales fermented by others at 72*F. None of them could compare to those kept in the low-mid 60's during active ferment. They didn't taste sweet to me, just "meh" or even "yuk".

Latest posts

Back