Imperial Pumpkin Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got this crazy idea to do an Imperial Pumpkin Stout, and am thinking that I will just take a recipe for an Imperial Stout and add a verity of spices, and the actual pumpkin of course, to it to add the pumpkin flavoring. I was wondering what would be a good base for this, and hoping some of you had suggestions. I'm also unsure of how much spice/pumpkin to add so any input on that would be awesome.

Thanks!

I think it would be hard to get the pumpkin flavor through that dark malt.

Not sure if you have access to it, but Cape Ann Brewing Company makes a nice Pumpkin Stout (website here). I emailed the brewery asking about their use of pumpkin and they mentioned they use a puree in the mash (I didn't ask how much, nor did they say)

Based on their beer, I think you can definitely pair the pumpkin with the roastiness of a stout

St Arnolds (in houston tx) did an imperial pumpkin stout for their divine reserve series (#9 in the series).

I know they used pumpkin puree, but not sure where in the process...I would imagine in the mash, but not sure. Also they spiced the heck out of the beer, and in my opinion was too hot alcohol-wise with a nasty spice finish.

^^
It is back and all over the news here in Houston. I scored one today, review to follow.
http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2011/10/saint-arnold-pumpkinator-has-landed/

Edit:
Okay
I cannot really review it here, I don't have much experience with Stouts.
What I can say is that it taste like a chocolate stout with a shot of strong scotch poured in it. Pumpkin and spices are covered up by alcohol.
Starts off malty sweet and ends dark chocolate. Very sleepy now.

Back