Imperial IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahommell

Reaction score
Had been looking at the threads trying to create a slightly unique, but not too off the wall IIPA. I had thought about doing some different things, but instead have made one that is truly a hop bomb flavor and aroma wise. Bitterness is coming from the Warrior.

This is my first recipe that was designed by y'all and tweaked by me. I just got into the hobby this year... I'm just hoping this comes out like I want it.

Thoughts?

Fermentables:
2 lbs. Caramel/Crystal 40L Steeped at 155 degrees for 25 minutes
1 lb. Maltodextrin
10 lbs. Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract
3 lbs. Marris Otter Liquid Malt Extract

Hops in the boil:
1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Warrior 45 minutes
1 oz. Amarillo 35 minutes
1 oz. Simcoe 30 minutes
1 oz. Tettnanger 15 minutes
1 oz. Tettnanger 10 minutes
1 oz. Citra 2 minutes

Dry Hop:
5 days of Amarillo, Simcoe, and Citra

Yeast:
Nottingham Dry Yeast

Brewed this last night and it smelled delicious. Running it through Brewtoad said it should get me around 10% ABV and 120+ IBU. I will keep an update on taste when it gets done if you all want.

thats going to be a very chewy IIPA. 2#s of crystal is way too much (1# tops, and preferably less) and malto dextrine should never come near an IPA, especially a IIPA.

in the future, i wouldn't use hops between 30 & 60mins, you won't get any aroma and very little flavor, they're basically bittering adds.

That's WAY too much crystal malt, and maltodextrine is really out of place (plus it's an extraordinarily large amount as well).

The hopping is weird, and uses big US bittering hops, and tettnang, a mild German noble hop. It's got way too much in the way of bittering hops, and not enough in the way of flavor hops but the dryhop schedule is nice!

Thanks! We will see what happens... It's fermenting happily now. I guess I'll see how this tastes in a few weeks.
I def. Think if I ever go with iipa again in going to stick with Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra. They are just too damn awesome.

Hommell's Homebrew

Thanks! We will see what happens... It's fermenting happily now. I guess I'll see how this tastes in a few weeks.
I def. Think if I ever go with iipa again in going to stick with Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra. They are just too damn awesome.

Hommell's Homebrew

I LOVE simcoe and amarillo together- definitely my favorite combination. (I'm not a huge citra fan, but many others are). I bet the aroma during dryhopping will be awesome!

You're right. The Amarillo/Simcoe mix is great... I really like how Citra brings a lot of flowery citrus and (to me, a novice) sort of let's the others shine.

Hommell's Homebrew

So you say that it smells delicious? I'd run with that. :)

Why don't you collect a gravity sample in a week or so and see what it tastes like.

That is lot of fermentables once that notty kicks in, so you'll want to keep an eye on your fermentor and be ready with a blowoff tube if needed.

I just switched from airlock to blowoff and the fermentation has really started going in earnest.

Hommell's Homebrew

Left the hops in for 6 days.

Still smells delicious, but y'all were more than correct. A little chewy. The taste is fantastic... but I felt like the chewy-ness / thickness sort of killed my excitement for the taste. I definitely will be tweaking the recipe, but the taste wasn't bad at all.

Don't mean to bump this thread for no reason...

THE TASTE IS FANTASTIC. :ban::tank::mug:
The mouthfeel? Yes there is some definite thickness to it and the maltodextrin does add something that is "off." However, as far as taste this is great. It is a lot like Palate Wrecker meets Hopslam. I don't think it is one either level... don't get me wrong... but this recipe has netted a pretty good catch. I think it needs a couple weeks to really mature, but the bottle I had tonight was one that I am definitely keeping notes on. :mug:

Back