Imperial A37 POG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone care to share their opinions on the A37 POG yeast? Grabbed a pack just because it sounds good and will probably make a big pale ale with it. I see it likes lots more aeration and I assume, extra nutrient as well. I've only use Hornindal (with great results) and thought I would try this and Kveiking too.

I picked up two packs and just made an IPA on Sunday with it. Pitched it at 92 degrees (crazy). My son made an IPA with it a few weeks ago and, while I was not able to taste it, he said it was very "fruity." His college roommates raved about it, but he thought it was too juicy.

My batch started bubbling the airlock within a few hours, but has not gone crazy. Just a steady glug, glug, glug for the last two days which surprised me. The only reason I chose to use it was because I have a spare conical with no temperature control and we are going through a heat wave. I am looking forward to see how it turns out.

Recipe:

9 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Munich malt
1 lb. Pilsen malt
8 oz. Crystal 60
8 oz. Flaked Oats

1 oz. Amarillo FWH
.5 oz. Amarillo @ 15 min.
.5 oz. Azacca @ 15 min.
.5 oz. Cascade @ 10 min.
.5 oz. Citra @ 10 min.
.5 oz. Amarillo @ 5 min.
.5 oz. Waimea @ 5 min.
1 oz. Mosaic cryo-hops whirlpool for 10 minutes

Still debating my drop hops.

That looks like a good recipe to me! I just used a bunch of Azacca with Bru-1 and HBC-586 but Azacca was prominent. I never seem to get much out of that hop and often wondered if it would do better with a yeast like POG.

From Imperial's site: imperialyeast.com

" This strain has demonstrated the need for higher wort dissolved oxygen (DO) levels than most ale strains. Target 20 ppm DO or set the oxygen regulator flow to ~50% higher than normal"

I've never seen that before - frankly I don't recall seeing target DO recommendations, ever, but here they're asking for a massive 20 ppm!
Good luck with that :)

Cheers!

Thanks for info everyone. Please keep us posted. I have a packet of POG in the fridge and will be brewing in a week or so.

I’ll probably be fermenting on the lower side of temp scale but do not have a way of oxygenating, besides the shake method.

I have a wine degasser stick that I can hook up to drill if necessary.

Are you sure? On their website (look at the tags on the bottom) it seems like it's from the framgarden, not ebbegarden?
Yep, I spotted that tag too, so I specifically asked whether it was from the Framgarden culture, and if not whether they could share which culture it was from. Liz from Imperial responded to say it was from the Ebbegarden culture. I agree the tag is odd, but I see mistakes like that quite often.

Interesting. I double checked with them and got the same reply. I'm attaching a. document of all strains + equivalents + origin.

Attachments

• Commercial Strain Cross Reference - 2020.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 72
Did a co-sour gose with this yeast and Lallemand Sour pitch. Attenuated only around 72%.

I kegged my batch on Saturday and added priming sugar to naturally ferment for few weeks. FG 1.010. The hydrometer sample tasted fruity, but not juicy if that makes sense. So far so good. My biggest surprise so far other than fermenting at 95 F was the amount of thick yeast that came out of the bottom of the conical fermenter. I did a yeast dump after 2 weeks and had at least a half a pitcher of thick yeast/trub. Then, one week later when I kegged, I dumped another half pitcher's worth. I normally would not do a second dump, but there was so much yeast in the bottom of the fermenter that it covered the racking arm and no beer would come out of the racking port. I kept one full mason jar of yeast for another batch given that this is a seasonal yeast.

I'm actually glad to hear this because I'm not making a hazy beer.......more like a WCIPA I guess. I'd really like to try this yeast at 95 and at 80 in 2 different batches to see how the temp affects it but I can't do that time. And I'm hoping for 6 days in the fermenter and 3 on gas and the rest in my belly!
Thanks for the update.

F2DE73E1-9619-4729-BDA8-B834CA00ACBC.jpeg
862E80C6-ED1A-41B4-8BA0-5969DCE2A125.jpeg
657C0C10-3EF9-4697-93FC-F2D75BF88D2E.jpeg
I’m building up my starter to harvest some yeast before my brew day this Saturday. I started it a little after 11am, by 5pm you can see it growing and by 11pm it had already spilled over the top some! I’m excited to see how it performs in the near future.

Finally tapped by "Pog Nog IPA" brewed in late August. WOW! My wife says it is one of the best beers I have ever made. It is not as fruity as I expected although there is a hint of orange rind together with the hop flavors from the mix of hops used. See recipe above. I just can't believe this fermented at 95 degrees F. Just down right drinkable! I will definitely make another batch with this yeast.

Finally tapped by "Pog Nog IPA" brewed in late August. WOW! My wife says it is one of the best beers I have ever made. It is not as fruity as I expected although there is a hint of orange rind together with the hop flavors from the mix of hops used. See recipe above. I just can't believe this fermented at 95 degrees F. Just down right drinkable! I will definitely make another batch with this yeast.
if this isolate is anything like the original kveik culture it came from, try it in a lightly hopped blonde ale, this will let some of the wonderful fruity esters from the yeast come to the forefront

I realized that I never updated this thread and I started it. So, here's where it went---I also got some LupoMax Citra and Mosaic so I decided to use those hops with POG yeast. I made an 11 gallon batch and gave half of it to my twin to take home and he used A07 Flagship. The only difference between the 2 is I dry hopped with Citra and Mosaic and he dry hopped with Citra and El Dorado. Both came out great. I mean, really good.
Mine was full of aroma, mostly due to the LupoMax I think but the POG, which only took 2 days to finish, 3 days dry hop and 2 day cold crash, was my favorite over the A07. It finished a bit drier and was 6.8%. I'm still drinking it but it's almost gone.
I did over build the starter and have enough for 1 more beer which I will do very soon. I give it 2 thumbs up.

The IPA I made a few weeks back with POG and the dregs from an Other Half IPA turned out darn good. The POG version has a more fruity character and nose to it without being bitter or having a bite to it. The OH yeast version has a fruity nose, the fruity character isn’t as apparent and it seems to have a bite or the bitterness is a little more pronounced. Bother really good, but very different too. The POG yeast ended up being 6.6% where as the OH yeast ended at 7.1%.
It’s crazy I let the POG yeast get over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and there are no off flavors!

Just made a another batch, but kept it simple this time: 12 lbs. Pale 2 Row, 1 lb. Carapils, 1 oz Magnum FWH, 1 oz. each Centennial at 30 min., 15 min. and 5 min. I made a starter using Pog yeast I harvested from my last batch. The 1L starter was unimpressive (very little krausen), but when I dumped it in the fermenter at 95 F it went nuts. I had to add a blow off tube 3 hours after pitching because the fermentation blew all the vodka out of my S airlock twice. Wow, impressive! I am curious to see how the yeast does with this batch.

I just brewed a Mosaic pale ale yesterday to try out POG for the first time. What a beast! There was a full krausen within 90 minutes, and it dropped the gravity from 1.054 to 1.024 in 18 hours. I'm fermenting in the high 80s/low 90s. Very excited to see how it tastes and how it pairs with Mosaic.

Back