Ill effects from degassing/taking a beer off tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Gertez

Reaction score
I have a beer that turned out way too carmel-y, but I didn't bother to taste it until it made it on tap. Rookie mistake, I know.

Anyway, my plan is going to be to brew some beer with no caramel and blend it. The only issue is that I need the keg space that's currently taken by the caramel beer, so I want to rack the beer back into a fermenter so it can hang out there until I get around to brewing the lighter beer to blend it with.

Does anyone know of any ill effects to the beer that come from racking the beer from the keg to a fermenter?

Thanks!

Possible oxidation issues could develop; this is probably a good time to look around for some used kegs, they really aren't very expensive and you could always sell them for almost what you paid for them. Another option would be to bottle the existing beer off the keg and then "blend in the glass" with the new beer.
The "carmel-y" beer could be blended with super hoppy IPA's, cider or mead.

Possible oxidation issues could develop; this is probably a good time to look around for some used kegs, they really aren't very expensive and you could always sell them for almost what you paid for them. Another option would be to bottle the existing beer off the keg and then "blend in the glass" with the new beer.
The "carmel-y" beer could be blended with super hoppy IPA's, cider or mead.

More kegs, you say? I think my girlfriend might be ready to kick me out if I let many more pieces of brewing gadgetry collect in the basement!

Make Radler's out of it...half beer half lemon-lime soda (Sprite-ish).

I actually already have a radler on tap right now, it's a sour beer blended with ginger beer. Delicious and tart!

More kegs, you say? I think my girlfriend might be ready to kick me out if I let many more pieces of brewing gadgetry collect in the basement!

Girlfriends and other significant others will accept more brewing equipment as long as you make beer that they like before all others. Basically try to have them believe that all your brewing efforts are focused on making them happy. :mug:

I have done it with commercial beer that I got in sankey kegs and I would put it in a fermenter to go flat so I could then rack it to a corny keg (using an auto siphon to move carbonated beer gets really messy) I would only keep it in a fermenter a few days and it was fine.

You could add a bit of priming sugar to have it ferment a bit to build a layer of Co2 so it pushes out the oxygen.

I have a beer that turned out way too carmel-y, but I didn't bother to taste it until it made it on tap. Rookie mistake, I know.

Anyway, my plan is going to be to brew some beer with no caramel and blend it. The only issue is that I need the keg space that's currently taken by the caramel beer, so I want to rack the beer back into a fermenter so it can hang out there until I get around to brewing the lighter beer to blend it with.

Does anyone know of any ill effects to the beer that come from racking the beer from the keg to a fermenter?

Thanks!
Leave it. Warm it up. Wait 2 months. Don't be surprised if you then love it.

Back