Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Action Figure Llama

Reaction score
As it starts getting colder here in Utah, I'm thinking of converting my dug-out fire pit into a cold storage for a lager or two.

I was thinking I could use the tree trimmings to build a stupa over the hole, wrapping it with a tarp or paper mache or both, which we will then cover with snow.

I'm losing my storage space in December when my son is born, which won't be a problem in the warmer seasons because the furnace room stays cool, but in the winter, it gets too warm. I do have a fridge I could use, but I think it would be fun to build something and using the Earth to condition my beer.

I've never done a cold fermentation, so let me know if I'm up in the night with my ice cave idea.

NineMileStyle

Incredibly Handsome
Reaction score
I love this!
When it comes to things like this, I like to consider how they did it in the old days.
Someone, somewhere has done this...there was a learning curve and they figured it out.
I think it sounds way cool...maybe give it a night or two with water to see how it does...or....just do it and let the beer gods figure it out.