Ideas for secondary additions to belgian tripel. Suggestions requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
So I have a citrus belgian tripel in primary. My standard tripel, with 1oz of orange peel in the boil. About 9-9.5% ABV. This tripel is always fairly soft on the palate and has a good belgian profile. bittered to 25IBU with american citrusy hops.

I am wanting to add something into the secondary. Originally, I was planning on doing a citrus lavender combo. But I am starting to shy away from the idea of using lavender. Still wanting to add something into secondary and wanted to see if I could get some ideas. Ideally, I am looking for something floral or possibly tangy.

Initials thoughts are
Just going with Lavender (7g into 5 gal)
Hibiscus (1-2oz into 5 gal)
Violet? (no idea how much, would have to do some research)
and for tangy...maybe Rhubarb? (maybe a 1-1.5lbs?)

I would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks

That sounds fantastic! I think you'll get floral from the hops and tangy from the citrus. But basil or lemongrass sound nice with that. Maybe the lemongrass would blend in and be a little less obtrusive. I've had good basil-citrus beers but its a delicate balance.

Ended up going with hibiscus and rhubarb.

(for 10 gallons)
Ended up adding into secondary:
2oz Sweet Orange Peel
4oz Hibiscus
2lbs Rhubarb
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I am guessing it ends with me buying two new plastic bucket fermenters because these are dyed pink haha.

Latest posts

Back